+1

Help me diagnose why water is getting in the cylinders

A friend of mine has a 2000 GP1200R and he is having an issue, a big one, of water getting in the cylinders. Here is the story he is telling me.

His kids had been riding it and all was fine, came back after a break and it wouldnt start. He tried a new battery that didnt work so he pulled the plugs and water came shooting out of all 3 cylinders. So water is getting in the motor obviously. Ski is bone stock and has never had any major work done, so the head has probably never been pulled.

He said he got the water out and it ran fine. Said he backed it into the water, hit the starter and water was in the cylinders again.

He also told me, which I don't even know if its possible, but he said he can run it out of the water on the hose and no water gets in the cylinders.

I figured it was a head or base gasket, but I don't see how he can run it on the hose and not have the same issue.

What do you guys think?

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    if it all 3 cylinders than it must be a cracked water jacket on the stinger and leaking down the exhaust into the cylinders

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenozzy View Post
    if it all 3 cylinders than it must be a cracked water jacket on the stinger and leaking down the exhaust into the cylinders
    How would water back flow into the cylinders from the stinger though? Would the crack have to the in the U-pipe?

Also, he is saying he can run it on the trailer with the hose and water doesn't get in, but that in itself doesn't make sense to me.

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    I would agree on u-pipe and where the rubber coupler is on the stinger, not sure how much pressure the pump makes, but the hose may not be enough pressure to get the crack leaking

only the water jacket on the exhaust touches all 3 cylinders so it has to be on that side of the motor

The key here is that his "kids" had the ski out. My moneys on the kids flipping the ski or subbing it and getting water in the hull, then the carbs suck it right up. He may of still had water in the crankcase when he backed the ski down the ramp and re-started it.

P.S. Yes, I have kids and you NEVER get the whole story.

Thread Information