Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help - '05 Rxp In Trouble

I am posting this for a buddy of mine that found himself stranded on the cumberland river Sunday afternoon.

Can anyone diagnose these symtoms? Here is what he told me...

"Rode Sunday for about 1.5 hours. Ran about normal for me, short bursts, but no dogging it. Ran great all day. On way back in, came to an idle to look at something on the side of the river. I floated with the ski idling for a minute or two. Start to take off, prob'ly 1/2 throttle and I got a huge vibration. I came back to idle and it was fine, but any gas that got my rpm's above 1500 produced crazy shaking. Engine sounded okay, but you could not get past 1500 rpm's b/c of the vibrations. I blipped the throttle a few times to clear it, no good. Turned it off and let it sit for a few minutes, still no good. Jumped off and felt in the grate, nothing I could feel. Floated for awhile while waiting on help. Tried it off and on, no good. I could crank it and idle all day long, no odd sounds, it was great on idle, but still could not get it to take gas without shaking. At the end, I was pissed so I blipped it (hard) several more times, the last one of these produced a higher pitched metallic sound. If the engine did not blow, I think I may have broken something on my last blipped throttle. Once back on the dock, I had enough thrust to get it back on the trailer, but it was running rough. What do you think?"

Today I went over to his house and we took aff the grate, looked inside the pump tunnel, hull, basically everything we could to try and troubleshoot. Also took off the intake hose at the supercharger to see if there was wheel spin or not...wheel did NOT spin. Everything inside the hull looked brand new...no water..nothing appeared to be wrong. Also hooked up the water hose and started up just fine. blipped the throttle a little and it acted normal???

WHAT GIVES??? ONLY MOD HE HAS DONE WAS VERY RECENTLY, HE HAD HIS SUPERCHARGER WASHERS REPLACED WITH METAL ONES FROM THE STORE....

Thanks, Jon

Banned User
    Pull your pump and inspect impeller, bearings.. then just for the fun of it pop off your SC air inlet hose, look for dust and check to see if the SC impeller moves.. I'm thinking you'll find what you're looking for in the pump.. About a ten minute inspection, just take off the VTS,Steering rod and your reverse rod then remove only the back four bolts and the whole pump assm. will pop off..

Let us know!!

Alex
    Last edited by Alex13; 06-24-2008 at 08:14 PM.

I had almost the same thing happen to me when I was out on the water two weeks ago with mine. I put in and ran it up the intercoastal waterway to a local spot. Hung out for a bit, was on my return home just got up on plane and mine did the violent shake too. I let out immediately, tried it again still same symptom so I idled into the closest boat ramp and called the p's to get the truck and trailer. I couldn't figure out for the life of me what it was. I thought that maybe it was the bearings in the supercharger, but the symptoms just didn't point in that direction. I called a bunch of local jetski places, they said to check the impeller because there has been alot of grass in the bay's. So I checked the impeller with the ski out of the water. I didn't find anything. I put some stabil in the fuel and took it out last weekend and everything ran fine... No hiccups or similar problems... It might be the fuel, I know a lot of people are having problems with the ethanol in the fuel seperatig out... Just a thought... BTW the ski is an 07' RXP with 20hrs and it's had it's regular maitience...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    Pull your pump and inspect impeller, bearings.. then just for the fun of it pop off your SC air inlet hose, look for dust and check to see if the SC impeller moves.. I'm thinking you'll find what you're looking for in the pump.. About a ten minute inspection, just take off the VTS,Steering rod and your reverse rod then remove only the back four bolts and the whole pump assm. will pop off..

Let us know!!

Alex
    Took off the air inlet to the SC. Wheel does not move at all....You still thinking PUMP?

Quote Originally Posted by jwade View Post
    Took off the air inlet to the SC. Wheel does not move at all....You still thinking PUMP?
    Even a tiny twing in the pump can cause lots of vibrations. Pull the pump and check it out. While it's out, you can check the wear ring and the impeller too... Ron

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    Even a tiny twing in the pump can cause lots of vibrations. Pull the pump and check it out. While it's out, you can check the wear ring and the impeller too... Ron
    +1, inspect your pump as the "King" suggested

+1
    There was probably something in the pump like a twig but it probably fell out when the ski was taken out of the water if you dont see it. I would take the ski back to the water and test it. I bet it is fine. May have caused a little damage to the wear ring though. It could also be bad pump bearings.
    Last edited by speedskixp; 06-25-2008 at 12:39 PM.

+1
    Got something caught in the pump. The last throttle blip got it out, but it probably damaged the prop and/or wear ring. That's why it continued to run rough.

thanks guys for all the help. we will try it in the water again, but will pull the pump and check the wear ring...he might need to change that out.

+1
    just got home from the river and mine was doing the exact same thing..

my first fear is the SC washers... cause I am planning on sending it off next week to get the washers changed out. Honestly like said above the symptoms dont point to the SC cause at idle I can still hear it whining like it is suppose to be. When I put it on the trailer, I took the intake hose off and I cannot spin the charger by hand. There is a very little slack but not much at all.

It idled fine, but when I try to take off it is getting a cavitation type vibration. I too jumped off the ski in the water to make sure there wasnt anything in the pump intake. So to play it safe I put it on the trailer and brought it home. I am going to inspect the pump tomorrow and see what I can find.

anyone have any luck with finding anything??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information