Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looks like motor might be done, question for the gurus??

I have a 2000 gp1200r w/ waveeater clips and dplate. I have 97 hrs on this thing, and I bought with 20 hrs on it a while ago. The ski just had the carbs cleaned b/c they were sticking. The shop starts it right up, says everything is good to go and Ive never had an issue here.

Heres the story, I take the ski out, and starts right up. I start riding and stayin around 25 mph just cruising, all the sudden it boggs out, but doesnt turn off. I choke it and get it started right up, and start cruising and all the sudden it dies now. I try to restart it for like 15 secs and suddenly it dies COMPLETELY, no noises, no screen working nothing. It didnt die like the battery was drained and started to slowly die, just all the sudden is done.

Heres my question, the shop has it again and says one of my cylinders is below 30 compression wise. I dont understand, is their a possibility the carbs werent installed correctly and it leaned out? I mean am I the one to blame here, Im sort of friends with the guy b/c Ive been taking my ski here for a while and I just dont know how to approach this.

One more question, I am not a pro and def dont have the best tools, but can a regular guy with some friends and a LITTLE know how to use a wrench fix a motor, install a piston????

PICS ADDED, Page 2
    Last edited by espritonsevas; 06-30-2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: added pics!

You need to pull the head and have a look. If it looks like a lean seizure, then yes it is carb or air leak related. Yes, I think you did nothing wrong and most likely the mechanic messed up.

What would lean seizure look like, I dont mean to sound uneducated but I RARELY work on this ski myself. I know I should, but I just dont have the time.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by espritonsevas View Post
    What would lean seizure look like, I dont mean to sound uneducated but I RARELY work on this ski myself. I know I should, but I just dont have the time.
    If you post some decent res pictures we can help diagnose what happened. Being that low on compression the head has to come off anyways.

+1

oil injection line trouble

Possible the mechanic did not get one of the oil injection lines back on good and it came off on that carb or he forgot to put it back on when he did your carb job. I have seen older skis with the factory wire ties on oil lines get week or crack causing a oil injection line to slip off its fittiing!!!!!!!!!! Look for excessice oil in your hull from a disconected line ?
    Last edited by 2fast4u; 06-24-2008 at 09:53 PM.

Im going to cal him tomm and see if he is gonna charge me for this mistake, if Not looks like your gonna see me posting alot more, b/c Im gonna try and tackle taking it off myself.

There is no VooDoo like BadVooDoo NeVerMind's Avatar
    I am now just finishing my first rebuild. If you have questions, feel free to ask. I am trying to get the block leakdown tested. hopefully, I'll have the motor in teh hul soon.

As for the rebuild, it's not that hard, get a copy of the manual (look in stickys) and read a few of the posts on the subject. TAKE YOUR TIME. Rushing only leads to mistakes. Good Luck!

Well I spoke with his wife, and they might not charge me to tear it down. She says she is going to talk to her husband which is the one im pretty good friends with. If they decide to do that, I will be rushing over there to take pics so I can get the opinion of you guys and seem a little more knowledgeable if he says anything to me.

+1
    motor gets warmed up, piston sticks...do what duke said...your looking at 5 min to pull head..take good shots of all 3 cylinders, post.

you can do this yourself no problem...... if your friend wants to charge you then take it home and we'll help you fix it..... most of us have spare jugs/pistons/heads we can get you quickly...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information