Thread: 2004 RXP

2004 RXP

Hey all,

I have the opportunity to buy a 2004 RXP with 120 hours on it for $5000. I was wondering if this was a good overall buy. The trim system was just replaced and it has a new steering cable. Overall the machine looks good apperance wise, and it was owned by someone who works at a dealership.
    The thing that worries me about the ski is the supercharger. Dont know much about the maintenance of them and have heard some horror stories about high repair costs. If anyone has some info it would be greatly appreciated.

Can you run 87 octane or do you have to run 93???

Thanks,
    JR

+1
    93 octane just ask them to run vin # and see if s/c has any warrenty failures that was fixed. ask to see if owner knows what s/c washers it has in it now.

Quote Originally Posted by rizseayam View Post
    Hey all,

I have the opportunity to buy a 2004 RXP with 120 hours on it for $5000. I was wondering if this was a good overall buy. The trim system was just replaced and it has a new steering cable. Overall the machine looks good apperance wise, and it was owned by someone who works at a dealership.
    The thing that worries me about the ski is the supercharger. Dont know much about the maintenance of them and have heard some horror stories about high repair costs. If anyone has some info it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    JR
    Read the owners manual that came with it. It's all there. Change the ceramic washers .

Is changing the s/c washers a job a dealership needs to do? About how much will that cost? Also once I take care of that issue are there any other things i need to watch out for.

Thanks!

Re: Washers

Seadoo used ceramic clutch washers in all the supercharged 4-tecs up to this year. There was no recall ever issued by Seadoo but people found themselves wearing them out and causing damage when they modified their engines. I hear many people just exclaiming to replace the washers no matter what but I've never actually seen any evidence besides a handful of cases of them prematurely going out, yet some people act like it's a given or a phenomenon. I know several people including my own previously owned first year 04 RXP that are still going strong as ever and Seadoo felt comfortable enough using the same washers for a few years.

You'll hear a lot of opinions here from people that have modified their craft and they're right. You might as well replace them if you have the time and money however even Riva will tell you that the washers are only prone to failure on modified engines. The metal washers aren't even included in their Stage I and Stage II kits. Obviously it's not going to hurt one bit to replace them and as I said, go for it if you have the means.

You can buy steel replacement washers from Riva for about $110 but I would also replace your shaft/clutch assy and your bearings at the same time. Whether or not it's something you can do by yourself depends on you. The parts you need to replace are on the engine side of the supercharger which is fairly accessible in the compartment of that PWC.

$5,000 is about $1,000 below low retail value of a used 2004 RXP which is curious and 120 hours on a 2004 I consider to be just slightly above average but not excessive.
    Last edited by Moabmonkey; 06-25-2008 at 05:42 PM.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rizseayam View Post
    Hey all,

Thanks,
    JR
    With a $ .20 on average for 93 over 87 is it really worth $3 a tank to jeapordized a $5000 ski?

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by Moabmonkey View Post
    Seadoo used ceramic clutch washers in all the supercharged 4-tecs up to this year. There was no recall ever issued by Seadoo but people found themselves wearing them out and causing damage when they modified their engines. I hear many people just exclaiming to replace the washers no matter what but I've never actually seen any evidence besides a handful of cases of them prematurely going out, yet some people act like it's a given or a phenomenon. I know several people including my own previously owned first year 04 RXP that are still going strong as ever and Seadoo felt comfortable enough using the same washers for a few years.

You'll hear a lot of opinions here from people that have modified their craft and they're right. You might as well replace them if you have the time and money however even Riva will tell you that the washers are only prone to failure on modified engines. The metal washers aren't even included in their Stage I and Stage II kits. Obviously it's not going to hurt one bit to replace them and as I said, go for it if you have the means.

You can buy steel replacement washers from Riva for about $110 but I would also replace your shaft/clutch assy and your bearings at the same time. Whether or not it's something you can do by yourself depends on you. The parts you need to replace are on the engine side of the supercharger which is fairly accessible in the compartment of that PWC.

$5,000 is about $1,000 below low retail value of a used 2004 RXP which is curious and 120 hours on a 2004 I consider to be just slightly above average but not excessive.

I've known many brand new less than 10 hour ski's that have thrown SC clutch washers, it's not that were parnoid..It's the truth, change your ceramic SC washers or live with damage.. I've read maybe 100 post about these SC failing, you don't believe me..Search SC failure
    Yes they did use them for several years and now they don't..Should be enough right there.

Alex

Thanks everyone for the advice. Im thinking I may hold off on buying the RXP with so many hours on the engine. Hopefully pick up something later this season or over the winter with alittle less time on it and replace the ceramic washers before anything goes wrong. Seems to be a cheaper solution.

Again....thanks guys!

I have an 04 that I bought with 120 hours on it. I put over 60 hours on it in the past year.

Change the washers and start modding, you will love it.

Thread Information