Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Riva vs. R&D Fresh Air kit

Does anyone know what advantage/disadvantage there is with the fresh air kits by RIVA vs. R&D. The R&D is less expensive but dramatically shorter in length. Why would RIVA's be a long tube?

stock RXT

its been said that the r&d will suck in hot air vs the riva that moves the filter up front away from engine heat and near an opening in the hull for fresh air. I don't see how intake air tempature matters in a supercharged application that much. You can make a custom 4" front air intake that is better than both for cheaper

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gbayus View Post
    Does anyone know what advantage/disadvantage there is with the fresh air kits by RIVA vs. R&D. The R&D is less expensive but dramatically shorter in length. Why would RIVA's be a long tube?

stock RXT
    Rivas kit pulls in fresh air from directly outside.were as R&Ds kit uses the warm air inside the engine compartment..You want as cool and as fresh of air you can possibly get for these SC..

Banned User
    +1
    The difference is about $200. R&D uses a big ole honking filter on top of the airbox.....Riva routes the tube to the back of the ski. In my opinion, you gain nothing by routing the air through all that tubing then to the back of the ski. The air has to travel back up to the front of the air box in a tube which will get hot.
    Only performance gain I saw was an improved throttle response. Save your money and just get the R&D filter and be done with it.

is the difference is about 200.00 ? Do it right the first time. With the cool and fresh air.

Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    In my opinion, you gain nothing by routing the air through all that tubing then to the back of the ski.
    Wait, what? Opinion or did you back to back test? I've heard from people who switched from the R&D air intake to the Riva powerfilter and gained 1mph. Switch from the Riva powerfilter to the Riva rear air and gain another mph. Cool air makes a big difference.

Banned User
    +1
    No, I didn't test it. I'd like to see a good back to back test though.
    Heres the problem, as I see it; You will encounter drag lose as the air has to travel through the tube. Also, the tube itself will get heat soaked by the engine heat, heating the air just as much as if it was picked up from inside the boat to begin with.

I await a back to back test. If somebody wants to send me the Riva unit, I'll do the test back to back, then return the tube.

Edited: I shouldn't have hi-jacked

-=Mike G.
    Last edited by Mikey G.; 06-25-2008 at 09:24 PM.

Test Pilot and Racer for Hire phoenixcustoms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    No, I didn't test it. I'd like to see a good back to back test though.
    Heres the problem, as I see it; You will encounter drag lose as the air has to travel through the tube. Also, the tube itself will get heat soaked by the engine heat, heating the air just as much as if it was picked up from inside the boat to begin with.

I await a back to back test. If somebody wants to send me the Riva unit, I'll do the test back to back, then return the tube.
    Give RIVA a call who knows they may take you up on the offer. ......or we should call one of the watercraft magazine guys. They seem to have more pull....Or lets just start our own comparison company Yea Right REALLY....

Who Knows

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Where does the R&D pull air??
    Last edited by jtskier11; 06-25-2008 at 04:46 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information