Insurance Crap/Atlas Ins

Story: Had under ingestion in which my ski almost sunk. Reason rope got sucked up thru intake grate, wrapped around drive shaft causing it to vibrate thus cracking my carbon ring allowing my hull to fill up to the point of sinking with salt water. Reported it as such. Was told in order to fix it and get a appropriate apprasail the engine would have to be torn down. This was done be a authorized Sea-Doo dealership. Adjustor shows up and takes appropriate pictures ect and turns that into the main office. Once there it was determined that they won't cover the claim due to there was no picture of the rope. Then they said it was due to a collision which I didn't have. They suggestted i read my policy. I did and they should cover it. If worse comes to worse shouldn't they pay for the tear down. If I wasn't covered on that from the beginning why did they tell me to get the engine tore down? The expense alone on the tear down was $917.00. Sounds like to me that these two people don't know a damn thing about watercraft and these people were recommended by AWA. Has anybody out there ever have this happen to them? I am not slamming AWA. At this time I ma challenging there findings but going up there chain of command. Any in puts and advice would highly be apprecaited. It is hell when you have been dry docked for 14 weeks.

+1
    Texas, what did the dealer say about the cause of the water ingestion? Did he talk to the adjuster at all?

Send them a certified letter explaining what happened, who you talked to, what they told you to do, and if you have your policy, quote the portion that explains what they cover and demand that they provide coverage. If your dealer supports you, include his opinion on the cause of the water ingestion.

Ask them for any evidence or proof they have to substantiate their claim that you wrecked your ski (which should be covered anyway).

If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll write you a letter on my firm's letterhead.

delaer said that due to the Fod on my drive shaft it caused a serious vibration which cracked the Carbon Ring allowing my hull to fill up with water.

doesn't sound like an insurace claim to me. Sounds like an expensive lesson in paying attention to the tow rope and where it is.

+1
    Hey TX--

I've had a couple of troublesome instances with insurance companies. In both instances, companies tried the old " That's not what we told you...." crap. Fortunatly, I'm a stickler for doccumenting this type of thing. One instance it took me sending my doccumented notes, containing dates/times, who I talked to and exactly what was said/promised. The other instance took my atty sending them a letter with similar doccumentation.

When involved in somthing that could get "sticky", I follow up telephone calls with a letter, email or FAX that says " In the course of our telephone conversation, I understood you to state blah blah blah or understood that your firm would take the following actions-----. If this is not correct, I expect to be notified in writring within 3 business days.

I was told by my atty that this can clear up many "misunderstandings".

I'll take a look at my policy (Allstate) and see what it says about similar accidents/damage and let ya know.

Good luck with all of this !!

wasn't a tow rope all was a sunken trot line or some sort of sunken fishing line. Can't see these or avoid these. HA HA HA

Thread Information