Being dragged kicking and screaming into 1997 afcblink's Avatar

GTX vs. GTI hulls -- what's the diff?

(Pardon me if I am asking a question that's been asked a million times before; I searched for a while and came up empty.)

What's the real-world difference between a 155 GTi and a 155 GTX? With the same motor and pump, they seem to be pretty equivalent. So what do I get with the GTX hull, other than a grand bump in the price?

Just as a bit of background, I'm currently shopping for a new ski for my wife's birthday present. She currently has a 1Gen GTS that she loves, but the only other skis she's ridden are my WBII and an old '93 XP. I would love to upgrade her to a brand-new ski with a modern four stroke.

I would prioritize the various characteristics in importance to her as follows:
    1) Stability (including ease of deep water boarding)
    2) Reliability
    3) Comfort
    4) Smooth in a chop
    5) Looks (She's commented on how nice GTXs look)
    5) Storage
    6) Turning

Notice that turning is at the bottom. She's more into cruising than wild riding, but some of that may be what she's accustomed to riding. She's not hardcore. We hit the lake maybe one day a month on average, plus a full week of vacation at Table Rock each summer.

It's frustrating having to drop this kind of serious money without being able to ride all the various skis out there, or at least get more concrete information -- the OEM web sites are mostly meaningless ad copy.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by afcblink View Post
    (Pardon me if I am asking a question that's been asked a million times before; I searched for a while and came up empty.)

What's the real-world difference between a 155 GTi and a 155 GTX? With the same motor and pump, they seem to be pretty equivalent. So what do I get with the GTX hull, other than a grand bump in the price?

Just as a bit of background, I'm currently shopping for a new ski for my wife's birthday present. She currently has a 1Gen GTS that she loves, but the only other skis she's ridden are my WBII and an old '93 XP. I would love to upgrade her to a brand-new ski with a modern four stroke.

I would prioritize the various characteristics in importance to her as follows:
    1) Stability (including ease of deep water boarding)
    2) Reliability
    3) Comfort
    4) Smooth in a chop
    5) Looks (She's commented on how nice GTXs look)
    5) Storage
    6) Turning

Notice that turning is at the bottom. She's more into cruising than wild riding, but some of that may be what she's accustomed to riding. She's not hardcore. We hit the lake maybe one day a month on average, plus a full week of vacation at Table Rock each summer.

It's frustrating having to drop this kind of serious money without being able to ride all the various skis out there, or at least get more concrete information -- the OEM web sites are mostly meaningless ad copy.
    I'll answer by number to the best of my opinion

1. almost the same, I think the GTX has more rear deck area
    2. same motor, same manufacture same SMC no difference
    3. should be very close. My Limited has the cushiest seat but the 155 should be abot the same as the GTI
    4. advantage GTI, you will notice that the hardcore bouy(read spare no expense) racers are using the GTI platform because it handles well in chop and slop
    5. I go GTX here too
    5.b Slight edge for GTX but teh difference should again be minimal
    6. See #4

My wife and I went by the local Sea-Doo dealer last night after work, my conversation with the salesman went something like this:

"What's the difference between the GTI 155 and the GTX 155?"
    "The GTX is part of their Luxury Performance line, the GTI is in Recreation."
    "I know, but what makes them different?"
    "The GTX has more instrumentation, mirrors and a cushier seat."
    "What about the hulls, how are they different?"
    "They're identical."
    "No, they're not."
    "Well, close enough. All the stats are the same. Length and width are identical."
    "The GTI is three inches shorter and an inch wider."
    "Gee, I'll have to check the book on that."
    "And the hulls are stepped at the bow differently. Look you can see that from here."
    "Um, why don't you come into my office while I look that up? If you'd like, you can fill out a credit app in the meantime. Didjaknow you can get zero down, zero interest financing right now?"

The bottom line: The guy didn't have a clue, and he SELLS them!

I'm coming to the conclusion that the GTX 155 and GTI 155 are functionally so similar that nobody can tell me a clear advantage or disadvantage to either, execept the marketing spin and doo-dads.

GTI SE 155
    They are completely different! The GTX/RXT hull was designed in the '90s, updated in '03(?) when the 4-tec 4-stroke was introduced. I believe it has a deeper v-hull, is longer and a bit heavier. The GTI came out in 2006, and I think it was a from-the-ground-up new design, not related to the "old" 2-stroke GTI.

Watercraft World said that the GTI was a lot more "playfull" than the GTX, and had a flatter hull that could be tossed and spun around with body english. I have an '07 155, and I enjoy riding it more than my friends GTX 185 SC. His hull handles chop better (less pounding), but my GTI is way more fun to play around in. His rig does have more storage, though.
    Last edited by fastexas; 06-26-2008 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks. It's nice to get some feedback from somebody who's actually ridden both.

I have the GTI and I chose it to save a little money as there is not enough difference for the extra few thousand dollars...I beat the hell out of the hull and have had no problems or leaks.

I've had an 07 GTI for a little over a year now. If she (your wife) is only going to ride once a month and a week on vacation, the GTI is probably great. I had bought mine for my girlfriend and she loved it. She hated my old Polaris Pro because it was so unstable and would beat the crap out of you. She loves the GTI because you can stand on the side and it won't tip, pulls tubers etc... I took it out on the great lakes this summer (I'm from MI) and it handles wonderful in the chop.

On the down side, as reliable as mine has been, it does lack in the fit and finish department compared to the GTX. The hood seems kinda cheap, no compass or depth finder capabilities on the dash either, just water temp and hours and all the engine stuff. Nothing has broke or went wrong, but I kinda expect more when I drop 8-9K on a toy.

Bottom line, I would recommend the GTI to anyone wanting a great recreational ski that you can throw around and anyone can handle riding, but you will notice a difference in the fit and finish if you spring for the GTX.

They have some new colors this year that look nice

"Fastexas" is dead on with his info. I have both of these hulls and the GTI is a lot more playfull (maneuverable) than the GTX. No need going to the GTX hull unless you need more space for storage. the GTX to me seams to be a little more stable but then Im not talking about the 155 GTX either, I think the extra weight on the SC is the couse of that.
    The GTI SE is the way to go!

If you want a cruiser then got for the GTX hull. If you want something you can trow around a bit more and better performance then go the GTI.

My GTX is not the 4-tec but power to weight is about the same as a 155HP 4-tec GTX. Great cruiser and good in the rough, but not easy to trow around and have some fun. I love the GTX hull and would only ever replace it with another GTX or maybe an FXHO when funds permit.

I had a close look at the 08 GTI at the local dealer and I hate the colours. I really hope the 09 range has nicer colours. It just looks plain and cheap compared to the GTX.

Thread Information