Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Coffman exhaust on a 94 Raider?

Guys, I've got a stock 701 1994 Raider that I've owned since brand new. It runs like a champ and I'll soon have a working gauge for it that I bought from big raider!

Anyway, about 4 yrs ago, I bought a brand new Coffman WaveRaider exhaust pipe off of fleabay. Right after I got it, I posted some questions on pwctoday.com and guys told me not to use it. They said that it didn't mount up securely and that it could crack or worse yet, crack other engine parts . They said the fact that I'm a saltwater boater with choppy waters would make it even worse.

Has anyone used one on a Raider? I remember reading an article about a yr after I bought my Raider and the magazine put a Coffman pipe on it and they got an average of 5mph additional top speed out of it. I remember the 5mph part real well. I just wish that I still had the magazine article.

Danny

+1
    I had an coffman (coughman would be better) pipe on my waveblaster. Yes I really had a hard time with it. It kept getting holes in it and it kept breaking on the bracket that holds it on the cyl. head. Other then that it's heavy and bulky. I switched later to an factory pipe and had a better result. They just tend to be more reliable in salt water use then the coffman pipes. I actually sold the factory pipe later to a guy with an raider and he is still using it till this day. I found that the factory pipe gave me almost 3 mph more over the coffman pipe. Also the low end was a big difference. I would buy an Factory pipe if I where you. You can check on their website about jetting, as this is neccesary with factory pipes.
    Last edited by aruba yamaha; 06-26-2008 at 08:04 AM.

+1
    Aruba, thanks for your reply. It pretty much mirrors what others said about the Coffman pipe several years ago . One guy even said that the mount broke near the cylinder and almost broke either the head or the block itself.

My ski is stock and super reliable and I don't think that I want to mess that up. However.......a little extra speed would be nice .

+1
    Hey everyone. I'm just resurrecting this old thread just in case somebody has some more information. I know, I'm looking for information that I want to hear.

I'm just getting the itch for more speed out of that old Raider and my brand new Coffman pipe is just sitting there in the box.........taunting me .

+1
    Dump the current exhuast...run a factory MOD pipe....bam 57mph and get's there in a big hurry!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpeavler View Post
    Dump the current exhuast...run a factory MOD pipe....bam 57mph and get's there in a big hurry!
    I just went to Factory Pipe's website and found the MOD pipe for the Raider. You're right. They're claiming 57mph and I don't doubt that at all. Just like they say, my stock Raider is running 53.2 on GPS.

A 4mph gain would be wonderful, however in this economy (and my recent pay cut), there is no way I'm going to be able to spend $720 on another pipe. I'll either keep my stock pipe or bolt on the Coffman that was long since paid for.

+1
    Hands down it's a better pipe....the biggest problem besides weight it the great chance you will crack the cylinder from the weight...more so if your in waves. If you don't have the money for the pipe..run what ya got....worst case, you just buy another cylinder and start over then...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpeavler View Post
    Hands down it's a better pipe....the biggest problem besides weight it the great chance you will crack the cylinder from the weight...more so if your in waves. If you don't have the money for the pipe..run what ya got....worst case, you just buy another cylinder and start over then...
    The cracking the cylinder thing is what turned me off of this pipe years ago. I'm boating in some pretty rough saltwater here I'm just not sure that I want to risk the reliability of this ski. On the other hand, the thought of more power/speed has an intoxicating lure .

Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    Oh, wow... Fernandina Beach. Oddly enough, I know exactly where that is.

On another note, how does a 701 Raider run 53 MPH vs a 760 GP That can't run that? Difference in hull design? Weight difference?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OBXJeepGuy View Post
    Oh, wow... Fernandina Beach. Oddly enough, I know exactly where that is.

On another note, how does a 701 Raider run 53 MPH vs a 760 GP That can't run that? Difference in hull design? Weight difference?

Raider hull was the lightest that year...and best for "flat water" speed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information