New Polaris Owner Oil Question

Hello everyone. I am new to the forums here and new to pwc's. I purchased two 2001 virage 1200 txi's from a guy while on vacation. (spur of the moment purchase) Turns out my wife is absolutely in love with the sport. Question I have is the person I bought them from is unreachable and I need to know what kind of injector oil to use in them(no clue what has been used in them in past). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Cory

Welcome to Greenhulk, ax. TC-W3 is what you want to use. Amsoil synthetic is very good or Pennzoil full synthetic can be found at Walmart.

Is there any risk in mixing the existing oil with the new synthetic??? I hear alot of people in here saying not to mix them, but then I talk to people that have mixed different brands in pwc's and boats for years and never had a problem. I am starting to think most of the people that post problems on these sites are the .05%'rs, because the other 99.95% with no problems are riding right now. Not saying anything bad about the .05%'rs as I am one of them needing help right now. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Cory

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

If it were mine I would drain siphon out as much of the oil as possible and refill with the oil of your choice.

And I was thinking of switching to the penzoil synthetic as I have heard nothing but good reviews.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by axman19 View Post
    Is there any risk in mixing the existing oil with the new synthetic??? I hear alot of people in here saying not to mix them, but then I talk to people that have mixed different brands in pwc's and boats for years and never had a problem. I am starting to think most of the people that post problems on these sites are the .05%'rs, because the other 99.95% with no problems are riding right now. Not saying anything bad about the .05%'rs as I am one of them needing help right now. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Cory

Do not mix the oil, since you do not know what oil was in the system. Some oils do not mix with each other. Just do like BeerDart said. It is only a couple of quarts of oil you are throwing away. If the 2 oils do not mix you will be throwing away a couple grand for a new engine. Just my 2 cents.

I 100% agree, but I need someone to tell me what tool I need to buy to siphon the old oil out. Wow you guys are good and fast. This site will make owning a jet ski much easier.

Does this site take donations???

+1
    Donations.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62281

To remove the oil stick a tube in the tank and suck to draw a siphon let it drain into a container.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by axman19 View Post
    ...two 2001 virage 1200 txi's from a guy while on vacation...
    Expensive vacation!
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Since you have two Virage TXi (as do I), you can drain the oil from one, put it in the other, and use that oil until it gets down to near empty (but do NOT allow it to become empty).

Then you can drain out the remaining old oil, and go forward with new oil in both Virages.

A little less wasted oil, and the same number of drainings (one per ski). BTW, these things use oil rather slowly, so watch the level carefully. It does go down, it just takes a fair amount of riding.

If you disconnect the oil feed hose from the tank nipple to drain the oil, or to change the oil filer (which is right there), be sure to purge out any air bubbles from the oil lines.

The Virage oil tank is very long and narrow (see photo), so the tilt of the trailer will affect how much oil you can siphon out.

Download the 2002 Service Manual (most things will also apply to your 2001 model).

Read through all the regular maintenance items, and either check or assume that they have NOT been done on your units.

If they were operated in silty waters, beached on sandy beaches, or used in salt water, then you should be even more thorough in your checks and cleaning.

I found large salt crystals in my Virage TXi thermostat housing (the previous owner claimed to back flush the engine after every ride). My other Virage TXi was/is a fresh water ski - you can see the differences.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5149930.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	79788   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5149958.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	79789   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5149955.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	79790  

Thread Information