1999 SLX 1050 giving me a headache

My bosses son forgot to put the plug in his ski and it submerged over night. He asked me to take a look at it. After taking the engine out rebuilding it, putting a new stator on it and checking over all the wires and rebuilding the carbs I am getting a headache. The problem is it seems to be rich and lean at the same time. It fires up, idles but smokes a lot then if I goose it, it will spit and sputter then act like it has a rev limiter. Now The MFD does not display anything at all and I have tried unpluging the tan wire to bypass the rev limiter. No dice. Any help would be great. Thanks

h2o

you got water in the fuel and in the electric box best bet pull the tank and start cleaning the fuel system. crack the box open drain the water out.glass fuse is cracked for the display keith

+1
    I agree, start with the electrical box and be sure to check for rust and water droplets on the back of the terminal board.

Sorry I should have gotten more descriptive. I did pull out the gas tank, drained it and let it sit in the sun for a day. Also when I cracked open the electrical box it was very dry and nothing looked corroded at all. He did this a year ago and it sat all winter until he asked me to look at it a month or so ago. So you would think corrosion would have set in if it got wet. The fuse is fine as well, good volts on each side. Also replaced the battery.

Looking into it more I may have a ground problem? I checked everything that should be grounded and it all looks good but yet it acts like it is on permanent rev limiter? Can a bad CDI do this or should I look elsewhere?

+1
    You need to get the MFD fired up.
    Do you have power and ground to the MFD?
    If not, replace the 1/4 amp fuse in the electrical box.
    Once the MFD works, let us know what RPM's you get.
    Do you have a flashing red light?
    Does it show low OIL or FUEL

I work on that. Also I am not getting fuel to spray out of the accelerator lines. I blew them out and there is definently no blockage but fuel does not seem to be pushing through at all. I also changed the diaphram in the accelerator pump.

+1
    Let's start with the MFD so we can gauge what's happening with the engine. Remember make all water tests short bursts so you don't risk burning the engine down if you have a fuel supply issue.

Quote Originally Posted by oachs83 View Post
    I work on that. Also I am not getting fuel to spray out of the accelerator lines. I blew them out and there is definently no blockage but fuel does not seem to be pushing through at all. I also changed the diaphram in the accelerator pump.
    Try to "charge" the accel pump by manually pushing the diaphram rod w/ a screwdriver or something. The arm on the linkage doesnt seem to move it far enough. We had this same issue w/ my buddies 1200 motor.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BBCaprice View Post
    Try to "charge" the accelerator pump by manually pushing the diaphragm rod w/ a screwdriver or something.
    The arm on the linkage doesn't seem to move it far enough.
    We had this same issue w/ my buddies 1200 motor.
    Does the engine need to be running when you do this, to provide fuel pressure?

Thread Information