Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick and easy,down and dirty,cold air for the RXT

This will be my first attempt at posting pics on this site,so lets see how it goes

After a lot of studying,measuring,thinking,I came up with a quick,easy and very cheap cold air tube for one of our RXT's. I am a firm believer in using/modifying as many of the stock parts as possible. BPR spent a lot of money designing this stuff and for the most part,MOST of it works pretty darn good.Plus the fact both these boats are still under warranty,I didn't want to get TO crazy just yet,so here is what I came up with.
    While strolling thru the local auto wrecking yard checking out an engine,I noticed all these air intake tubes laying around,so I gathered a few of them up,and the yard gave them to me to get rid of them I get back here to the boats, and remove the seats,the seat support and the inspection cover from inside the front storage compartment.
    Next step,open a beer Remember my other post about how much air flow you could get from the existing air supply tubes? Well,that thought kept bugging me,and no matter what I tried,there isn't any EASY way to tie both those tubes together,seal them up,and use them for a cold air supply.
    I picked out the largest diameter tube I had from the junk yard,and started measuring and looking,and found that it was just the right length to go from the right front corner of the hull,just behind the storage compartment,to the cover that fits over the opening of the factory air box.

Of course there aren't any part numbers or identifying marks on the tube,so I have no idea WHAT it came off of. Measuring the tube told me was about 36 mm in diameter. Next,I drilled a couple of 36 mm holes,with a hole saw. The first hole is in the cover to the opening of the air box,and the second hole is in the hull on the right hand side,just across from the gas cap. This area is protected by the rear portion of the hood. The fit was snug enough it didn't require any more than a bit of twisting to get it to fit inside the holes.I think this going to be a very workable fresh air tube. Is it PERFECT? Not Yet! I still need to devise a way to seal it to the air box. As it stands right now,the tube has about a 1/16th inch gap all the way around the opening of the air box,and engine can still pull in a SMALL amount of hot air from the hull,but the tube goes down inside the air box far enough that 95-99% of the air supplied, is going to be fresh outside air. Plus,the LID to the airbox is what is holding the tube in place,no fasteners required! The best part is,if any water does find its way into the tube,the airbox drains will get rid of it before it finds it way into the engine.
    Here's the pictures.........(I HOPE!)

+1
    How sweet is that!!! Looks awesome, custom, and very functional!

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    looks like it will work.... BUT where i ride i'd be taking on ALOT of water down the hole u drille din the hull. I mean ALOT.... my hood goes under quite often and exactly where you drilled that hole sees a trmendous amount of water exposure. i know there's drains in the stock air box... but that's allowing too much water into the air system for my liking.

certainly straightforward and functional tho that's for sure!! i'd love to hear test results.

PS... i dunno if i got the balls to drill a hole in my hull like u ddi on my new RXT tho

Shibby
    The only time I see that kind of water is when I stuff it into a wave on Lake Erie.......and then I am usually being knocked off the boat That is one of the reasons I tried to use the stock air box,was to help drain off any water that does get in.........that air box is HUGE with a lot of baffles, two drains, and could probably handle 2-3 gallons of water per minute and still keep the engine "dry". I also pulled that tube in farther thru the hull,so that there is a taller "lip" at the top to keep water from just running in the hole,and it is actually way up under the edge of the hood. I think you would have completely submerge your boat and hold it there,to get enough water to do any damage. We find out today if it works or not.
    I also saved the "plug" that came out when I drilled the hole........just in case I have to "put it back"

+1
    skr8pn....Here is my intake system on my GTX SC I used a sheet of plexiglass..Or acrylic...Black in colour,,But you can use any colour...By doing it this way I totaly seperated the intake system from the engine compartment...And I get pretty good quality cold air now...Just trace out the original stock panel...And cut the ac rylic with a standard jigsaw with a plastic blade...I rand the edges with a wire wheel on a bench grinder..Just to smooth them out...Then I gave the plastic a good rub with a scotch bright pad....threw some wax on it for the sake of beeing bored and Ta.Da...
    Good cold air intake...Buy the way I use 4 inch tube all the way back to the black sc hose....The 4 inch hose Kits are available @ race tech...And I will post the pic tomorrow...Because I left my dam camera @ my buddies house last night...Dammit!!

Frazier and Danny are working on a set up to take the intake to the front of the hull by the battery, I think its going to be a pretty long piece. Fans are going to used to keep the ambient temperture down inside the hull.

+1
    SKR8PN - I know you've already got your hose done and it looks nice, but perhaps if someone were to do your mod but with a longer hose that could somehow have a bend in it similar to the drain under your bathroom sink...and perhaps some sort of water trap at that point. Don't know how, but just a two second thought that has come and gone this early morning.

Well.........we got to the lake today and did a pretty good test on it. I DID pull the hose up out of the hull opening further, so that it now stands about 1/2-3/4 inch above the opening. That seems to stuff the end of the tube up pretty close to the underside of the hood. I buried the nose of the boat several times today,both in wakes and when I was sliding the boat doing doughnuts,etc. and each time,I would stop and pop open the hood, and the inside of the hose was dry. As far as I can tell it never got a drop into the air box. Best part? NO HEAT FADE AT ALL!. It was 90 plus degrees today,and I was able to maintain all 8000 rpms,holeshot,everything.
    The SOUND this thing makes is nothing short of awesome!! You can hear the supercharger SCREAMING when you stand on the throttle or when you come out of the water! It is worth the mod just for the sound effects! LOL LOL

And as a side note.........I did have a kill today,but I hate to say, it was a new RXP............ Dude stopped me and we were bs'ing a bit. I asked him if he had it broken in yet: "yup 13 hours on her" Good. I told him to hit it because I wanted to see how bad he would waste me. We were in 6-12 inch chop,he started out 2 boat lengths behind me when he hit it. I waited till he was even with me before I hit it.......He never pulled ahead and I freight-trained him!!!! Pulled him a good 4-5 boat lengths by the time I was at 65 on my dreamo......... he must be a non-ridin' bitch! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by rx4pain
    SKR8PN - I know you've already got your hose done and it looks nice, but perhaps if someone were to do your mod but with a longer hose that could somehow have a bend in it similar to the drain under your bathroom sink...and perhaps some sort of water trap at that point. Don't know how, but just a two second thought that has come and gone this early morning.
    RX..I LIKE the way you think! I may just re-do this since it seemed to work out OK today! I have a couple of ideas for water traps, to add to your thoughts. I will keep you guys updated.

+1
    Us poor RXP's in that kind of chop - makes me miss my GTX SC. Congrats on your kill and safe testing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information