Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SL 900 Starting Issues

i have a sl900 that is very hard to start, if it starts at all. i have removed the carb and gone through each, all internal filters clear. I have about 115-120 psi in each cylinder, and every time i pulled a plug to check spark i had it. It also looks as though the fuels lines have been replaced as they dont look like the stock grey ones. i took it to the launch ramps today, and it started up after a few attempts, i adjusted the idle to 1400 rpm, and let it run for about 5 mins, went to pull the trailer out of the ramp came back and the thing wouldnt start (4 mins later)?????? it would SOMETIMES kind of start as i was releasing the starter button, but then die off. Any ideas? Plus the plugs seem quite oily.
    Last edited by rcngmoto; 06-25-2008 at 09:01 PM.

and can anyone point me to the spark plug chart?

+1
    sounds like the stator is going bad .

+1
    A weak battery will do the same thing. Make sure you have 10.6 or more volts at the battery while cranking the engine. I'd definately change the plugs and gap them down to .024 and see if that helps.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Check the fuel pick-up lines inside the tank,sometime they will go bad.Also check the pulse line going to the fuel pump.

i have changed the plugs and they are gapped at about .024, i have two batteries (one brand new) and it does the same with both, but when i am cranking i am getting around 10.4-10.6v at the battery (with multi meter). If it is the stator where is the best place to get it, and by best i mean cheapest. I assume that i should do the upgrade kit? Or anything else to do before i shell out the money?

+1
    I'd still test the stator and if it doesn't pass, I'd certainly replace it with the new kit.

where would you reccomend getting it? i have no polaris dealers around me. Could timing be an issue?

If the stator checks out, you might have a problem with timing. Have you had any motor work done on this ski? Below is a link to a thread about my SL900 that was difficult to start. Replaced plugs, fuel lines, battery and had Randy clean up the carbs, still same hard start problem. Found out that when they rebuilt the motor, they did not properly tighten/loctite the screws that hold on the timing plate behind the flywheel. Well, anyway, if it helps, here is the link.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ighlight=sl900

Turk

Also, 10.4-10.6 cranking volts is still too low I think.

So I Pulled The Flywheel

well this evening i got to pull the flywheel off and it appeared that some had been in there in the past, as the cover had black gasket maker, rather than the fiber gasket, but anyways here are my conclusions. it appears to be the original stator (it looks old and has red filling in places?), ALL of the pickups on the stator have a bit of surface rust on them, all screws seem to be tight, except one was kind of loose on the flywheel (one of the two phillips screws, not sure what they do.) but other than that seems normal LOOKING. Does that Surface rust cause me any problems in your opinion? im sure i can clean them up, would that be acceptable, or even help? i have yet to ohm it it, i was just looking on input on the rust, and the one loose screw?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information