Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Pulling the Carb...

I have a 2004 Polaris Virage and it is acting very weird. I can get it up to 30 mph and when I give it more gas it will just shudder down to below 30 mph. Then it will get a kick and go up to 40 mph. At first I was hoping it was the gas, but now I'm realizing that it is unusually good on gas recently. I had to fill my other ski each time I took them out and my Polaris is still on 1/2 a tank!?!? Granted my other ski is a 1200 and my polaris is a 700, but still.

So anyway, my question is how do I pull the carb to check for restrictions? Also, do you think I should check the fuel line?

yeah check the fuel line for kinks/bends and also does it have an inline fuel filter before the carb huh?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    To remove the carbs,undom the 2 nuts on each carb at the manifolds(4 total),then unhook the lines and the cables. Remove them,and clean them including the little filters inside. Now would be a good time to get 2 kits and rebuild them.

Quote Originally Posted by la90043 View Post
    yeah check the fuel line for kinks/bends and also does it have an inline fuel filter before the carb huh?
    Not too sure about that. I just put some carb cleaner in it before I go and pull the whole thing out. I'm taking the ski's out tomorrow. Hopefully the Virage will run okay.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Be careful, IF your starving the engine of fuel,you take a chance of burning it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    Be careful, IF your starving the engine of fuel,you take a chance of burning it down.
    What does that mean?

Sorry, I've only owned waverunners for about 3 years now and I don't know much about them...

Also, I asked this in another thread but no one really answered it. Would bad fuel be the problem? I accidently filled the tank before I put it away last winter...I know fuel degrades over time, but is it enough to make the engine shudder?
    Last edited by Goliath; 06-26-2008 at 09:29 PM.

that means seizing the motor....................blowing a hole in a piston/pistons.....................

i really dont think the fuel spoiled. was the gas cap not on the boat for the fuel to evaporate and spoil? if it was on the fuel is good. look for an inline fuel filter. does it have one huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
    What does that mean?

Sorry, I've only owned waverunners for about 3 years now and I don't know much about them...

Also, I asked this in another thread but no one really answered it. Would bad fuel be the problem? I accidently filled the tank before I put it away last winter...I know fuel degrades over time, but is it enough to make the engine shudder?

Quote Originally Posted by la90043 View Post
    i really dont think the fuel spoiled. was the gas cap not on the boat for the fuel to evaporate and spoil? if it was on the fuel is good. look for an inline fuel filter. does it have one huh?
    There are three lines that run from the top of the tank. One lopps around and has a cap on the end. The other two run to the Carb. Then there is a line running from the carb to the block (?).

I think there is a filter on one of the lines. There is a spot in the line that is split and has two O-rings on it. I felt on either side of the rings and it was hard.

EDIT: One runs to the fuel switch in the hull compartment and then there is another line branch from that that runs to the carb.
    Last edited by Goliath; 06-26-2008 at 10:01 PM.

doesnt seem that your boat from factory has an inline fuel filter.
    check it out here, find your year and boat. though i was able only to find the 2003 model.

http://216.37.204.206/wps/Polaris_OE...?Type=12&A=119

also you can get the full manual down load here..................

http://www.mattmans.com/polaris/upload/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information