I need more speed for my gp1200

I'm looking to get more speed out of my waverunner gp1200 1997.
    Right now i can get it up to 68 mph. I was told by the guy who sold it to me,
    that he used to get it up to the mid 70's. The reason being, he had a guy from
    yamaha tune the engine, and the exhaust, which sounds great. But i was wondering
    if there is anything I can do my self to make it go faster top end wise. I would like
    to get it back to the mid 70's if i could. Any suggestions? Should i just be happy
    with what i got?

Also, someone told me adjusting the sponsons will give me more speed, if that is true, do i turn them both up, or both down??

+1
    What has been done to it? The only way your going to get into mid 70's is with triples.

I have no idea, but it is not stock i will tell you that, it out runs most of the people at pickwick. It sounds like a race boat to. The guy that sold it to me had a lot of money and had some stuff tweeked and tuned is all i know. But as for the sponsons, do i turn them up or down for speed? I don't even know what triples means, i'm completely new to the whole get more speed thing..

"Second place is really just the first loser." YSAVE's Avatar
    Triples are triple pipes.. The stock exhaust is a single pipe.. how are you measuring your speed? The speedo guage or GPS?? The speedo guage is usually 5-10mph off.. You need a GPS to test your real speed.. It won't do close to mid 70's without some major mods..

+1
    Do a search for stepping sponsons

does your engine look like this, if it does it has tripples on it
    which should push you to 70ish with a gp

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bblue View Post
    I have no idea, but it is not stock i will tell you that, it out runs most of the people at pickwick. It sounds like a race boat to. The guy that sold it to me had a lot of money and had some stuff tweeked and tuned is all i know. But as for the sponsons, do i turn them up or down for speed? I don't even know what triples means, i'm completely new to the whole get more speed thing..
    Pickwick, is that in Alabama? My wife is from there and I have heard her mention pickwick before. Anyway, sponsons are not going to have much if any effect on speed, but to answer your question, turn them up for speed but it will probably be more prone to porpoising. Does it run on 93 octane fuel? Most triple piped GP1200's run 70-72 on pump gas. Very few have seen faster than that, and the ones that did were full blown running race gas and aggressive porting, and probably a carbon fiber hull. If it is not a triple pipe GP1200, your ski has never seen over 70, and most likely never been over 67mph. As others have said, you can't believe the speedometer, GPS or radar is the only accurate way to record speed.

I must have a single pipe... but for the way it sounds, it sounds as if something was done to it.. It sounds very good, but i guess sound doesn't have anything to do with speed... I will get a gps and test it out, I was going by the digital speedometer.. Once i test it out with the gps i will let you guys know

Quote Originally Posted by bblue View Post
    I must have a single pipe... but for the way it sounds, it sounds as if something was done to it.. It sounds very good, but i guess sound doesn't have anything to do with speed... I will get a gps and test it out, I was going by the digital speedometer.. Once i test it out with the gps i will let you guys know

Check your waterbox(large muffler looking device in the rear of the ski). Does it have the words TDR on them?

+1
    bblue... I am the guy over on SBT that told you to come over here.. Take some pics of the engine and post them up here..

Thread Information