Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

Bad tongue weight on Triton Double LT WC II Trailer

I have the Triton LT series PWC trailer... Double trailer. I have an RXT and a GTX SC on it....

I cannot for the life of me get the tongue weight correct. you can't move the axle as far as i can see bc it's all welded in place. you can move the winch slides back and forth to make the PWCs go further front or back on the trailer. I have mine ALL THE WAY maxed out so the skis are as far front as possible. my tongue weight is still way too little. Not an easy tow bc the trailer fishtails alot alot persuades the car alot and bounces on the hitch and makes the truck bounce front to back. It's just an awkward tow.

I had a kawi 15F on the trailer for a long ride to VA, and it was great bc the kawi is shorter and the engine is further frontwards, so the tongue was much heavier, and the tow felt great.

i have the winch slides maxed out all the way forward, which of course means the aluminum is flexing ALOT when i crank the skis up good and tight.

any ideas?

+1
    Per http://www.etrailer.com/faq/trailer-towing-tips.asp

10%–15% of gross trailer
    weight (200 lb.) maximum
    Last edited by RX951; 07-07-2006 at 11:34 PM.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    me total weight of 2 skis full of fuel and the trailer with a spare is 2245 lbs.... given gasoline is about 6.2 lbs per gallon and we cary 16 gallons when full.

i can say confidently... my tongue weight is no more than 100 lbs as it stands right now... i wonder how much less than 100 tho, i gotta get a scale. i'm a pretty puny guy at 5'11" and 130 lbs.... and i can lift the trailer tongue with no struggle at all

+1
    Greetings--

I have noticed a similar problem when pulling our two skis with our 04 Explorer. I feel it "pushing" when I tow the skis' trailer.

I played with re-balancing the skis to get a 200 # tounge weight. I used a bathroom scale under the tounge wheel to get this number. I checked the weight with the tounge level.

When its hooked up to the truck, the trailer is slighly tilted rearward-- the tounge isn't level. Ahhhhhaaa ! Im guessing this results in a light tounge weight.

The other day I had to two with our old 00 Explorer. Its hitch is a good 2-3 inches lower than the 04. No bouncing or "pushing" the truck. A smooth ride.

Mabye that's an answer-- lower the drop on the hitch. The hitch on the 04 has a 2.5" drop. I'm going to get a 3.5" drop hitch and see if that helps.

Put a diamond plate tool box on the front....

+1
    I have a GPR, GTi and a plastic truck box on my trailer. I have not added a gas can rack for 3 gas cans yet.

But my current tongue weight is 167 lbs and it rides very good. I think with the 3 gas can additions later, it should put me right at 191.

I may even slide the skis a tad bit back to get it back in the 160/170 range. This is right where I can pick it up to dump water out of them.

Actually, I would prefer 140/150. But it rides soo good at this current tongue weight.

+1
    The trailer must be slightly lower in the front when it is hook up to the tow vehical if it is not the weight will not matter and it will fish tail

shibby I had that same trailer before I traded for the elite i never had a problem get a longer drop hitch and get that trailer lower in the front

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shhr
    The trailer must be slightly lower in the front when it is hook up to the tow vehical if it is not the weight will not matter and it will fish tail

shibby I had that same trailer before I traded for the elite i never had a problem get a longer drop hitch and get that trailer lower in the front
    good information.....I didn't know that. My tongue is slightly lower in the front when connected to the vehicle. I thought it had to be level.

Quote Originally Posted by RX951
    good information.....I didn't know that. My tongue is slightly lower in the front when connected to the vehicle. I thought it had to be level.
    Mine too, I thought it had to be level...Mine is slightly lower in the front also, and I cant even feel the trailer on there most of the time...I usually forget its there!!

+1
    Level is the way it's supposed to be- but dropping it down in front effectively adds tongue weight.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information