Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 virage bogs down @ 5-6k

ok specs
    2000 virage tx
    no aftermarket mods - bought new

this year ... the ski bogs at about 5-6k when at speed
    I tried to duplicate at neutral , but it seems to run fine then
    new gas ... used some seafoam to try and help ... no difference

I did notice one of the clamps for the intake was off in the back ( the big hoses connected to the plastic "tanks" ) I reconnected and tightened the clamp down .. no difference

any things I can start to check first? i'm not afraid of buying a few parts, but an order of things to check would be awesome.

apologies for the laymans terms ... I'll get better ... I promise

Probably fuel delivery if it does at hi-rpm. Check filter, lines, clean carbs? A hi speed lean could fry a piston- check it out.....

This is exactly what is happening to mine. Except it bogs down at like 3.5-4k rpm. I loaded it with carb cleaner and I'm gunna try it tomorrow. I'll post here to tell you what happens...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
    This is exactly what is happening to mine. Except it bogs down at like 3.5-4k rpm.
    I loaded it with carb cleaner and I'm gunna try it tomorrow.
    I'll post here to tell you what happens...
    There is an RPM limiter at 3500RPM if fuel or oil levels are low, or the HOT temperature sensor is triggered, or the PWC thinks it is in reverse.

Make sure you have NO warning messages on the MFI display, and NO red light.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    There is an RPM limiter at 3500RPM if fuel or oil levels are low, or the HOT temperature sensor is triggered, or the PWC thinks it is in reverse.

Make sure you have NO warning messages on the MFI display, and NO red light.
    I think (and I'm hopeing) that it is just because that fuel is old. I accidently filled the tank before winter. I'm not sure if old fuel can have this effect though.

It maxes out at 30mph then suddenly kicks up to 40 and back down to 30?!?!?

+1
    I think (and I'm hoping) that it is just because that fuel is old. I accidentally filled the tank before winter. I'm not sure if old fuel can have this effect though.

It maxes out at 30mph then suddenly kicks up to 40 and back down to 30?!?!?
    Be careful running old fuel. It can degrade, and act similar to low octane, which can lead to engine damage. Highest risk of detonation damage is with the throttle between 1/4 and 3/4 open.

If you can, stuff the tank with highest octane premium fuel you can find, and keep topping it up with more premium as you burn through the old stuff. The premium fuel will help raise the average octane level in the tank up. Adding some Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer wouldn't hurt, either.

OR, drain as much of the old gasoline out, and use in in something else (your lawn mower, or your car in small amounts per tankful). Then put in fresh premium fuel for the Polaris. This would be the best approach.

Also watch for any signs that the carburetors themselves are gummed up from the old fuel. Clogged carbs can cause lean engine operation, which can cause piston damage in short order.

+1
    tim, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!

If carbureted
    Pull the carbs but pay special attention to the filters and the cavity behind it.
    Replace that grey fuel line.

Be careful running old fuel. It can degrade, and act similar to low octane, which can lead to engine damage. Highest risk of detonation damage is with the throttle between 1/4 and 3/4 open.

If you can, stuff the tank with highest octane premium fuel you can find, and keep topping it up with more premium as you burn through the old stuff. The premium fuel will help raise the average octane level in the tank up. Adding some Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer wouldn't hurt, either.

OR, drain as much of the old gasoline out, and use in in something else (your lawn mower, or your car in small amounts per tankful). Then put in fresh premium fuel for the Polaris. This would be the best approach.

Also watch for any signs that the carburetors themselves are gummed up from the old fuel. Clogged carbs can cause lean engine operation, which can cause piston damage in short order.
    How would I go about draining it? Is there a drain plug located somewhere on the tank or should I just syphen it all out?

+1
    How would I go about draining it?
    Is there a drain plug located somewhere on the tank or should I just siphon it all out?
    Siphon it out through the filler neck.
    Just don't be swallowing any!

The fuel tank holds quite a lot of fuel. Be sure you have enough fuel containers to hold it all.

Siphon it out through the filler neck.
    Just don't be swallowing any!

The fuel tank holds quite a lot of fuel. Be sure you have enough fuel containers to hold it all.
    Yeah..... I think it's like 18 gallons or something like that. I have enough tanks. Thanks for the help k447...

EDIT: I'm talking to someone in another thread and they said that the fuel would most likely not degrade if I had the cap on (which I did). I live in NC so it is pretty hot all year round and the ski was sitting in the garage. You still think the fuel could be bad?
    Last edited by Goliath; 06-26-2008 at 10:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information