+1

oil extractor question

i just purchased a new oil extractor and i want to remove a small amount of oil from my jetski. i want to get my oil level right because i think they over filled it. ive never used one of these things before what is the best way to do this? also if i pull to much out would it be safe to pour some of what i pulled out back in? i only have 2 hours on the machine so the oil is still new. any help would be much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by 03stx12f View Post
    i just purchased a new oil extractor and i want to remove a small amount of oil from my jetski. i want to get my oil level right because i think they over filled it. ive never used one of these things before what is the best way to do this? also if i pull to much out would it be safe to pour some of what i pulled out back in? i only have 2 hours on the machine so the oil is still new. any help would be much appreciated!
    I just put it in the dipstick tube and it should be fine to put it back in

first run the engine either on the hose or at the lake for 10-15 minutes. pull it out or on the trailer make sure the ski is sitting perfectly level - i mean completely level and check the dipstick before u start sucking any oil out. if it has more than supposed to, start pump a little bit at a time.

that or wait until 10hrs and then just do the oil change. 4.3 qts with the filter on and 5.3 with the filter off.

keep us posted.
    Last edited by puppi350; 06-26-2008 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by puppi350 View Post
    first run the engine either on the hose or at the lake for 10-15 minutes. pull it out or on the trailer make sure the ski is sitting perfectly level - i mean completely level and check the dipstick before u start sucking any oil out. if it has more than supposed to, start pump a little bit at a time.

that or wait until 10hrs and then just do the oil change. 4.3 qts with the filter on and 5.3 with the filter off.

keep us posted.
    Hi, the darn service people overfilled my too...(almost a litre) hard to believe they are certified... When you say leveled how do you measure that? When it is in the water it is supposed to be leveled but on the trailer. Is it ok to to use a spiritlevel (i think it is the english word for vattenpass) and put it on top of the engine?
    looking forward to your input on this!

/Yaruman

+1
    the best way to have it level is to put it in the water, but its a pain to do any work like that, especially an oil change !

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yaruman View Post
    Hi, the darn service people overfilled my too...(almost a litre) hard to believe they are certified... When you say leveled how do you measure that? When it is in the water it is supposed to be leveled but on the trailer. Is it ok to to use a spiritlevel (i think it is the english word for vattenpass) and put it on top of the engine?
    looking forward to your input on this!

/Yaruman
    Yes, using a level on the engine will work. That is what I do.

I find it so much easier to level the ski when it is on the trailer. I can use the crank jack to raise lower the front end of the trailer very easily.

yes use a Torpedo level about 6-8 inches long and $ 4-8 at HD or Lowes

Quote Originally Posted by drtbk4ever View Post
    Yes, using a level on the engine will work. That is what I do.

I find it so much easier to level the ski when it is on the trailer. I can use the crank jack to raise lower the front end of the trailer very easily.
    +1

Thread Information