Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Primer install?

Primer install?

There has been some debate over whether to install the primer suction line from the reserve fitting or the return fitting? I am here to tell u the primer suction line on the return line will not work if ...A u don't do a loop to keep the line wet and the tee for the primer at the bottom of the loop ( bad idea anyway as you open the potential to siphon effect all the fuel tank into the hull ) or B if that loop dries out do you really think the primer is going to pick the path a most resistance?? Well I just tried it and I am going to stick to the primer on the reserve line or for those of you who delete the fuel selector just put the primer on the on line!

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    There has been some debate over whether to install the primer suction line from the reserve fitting or the return fitting? I am here to tell u the primer suction line on the return line will not work if ...A u don't do a loop to keep the line wet and the tee for the primer at the bottom of the loop ( bad idea anyway as you open the potential to siphon effect all the fuel tank into the hull ) or B if that loop dries out do you really think the primer is going to pick the path a most resistance?? Well I just tried it and I am going to stick to the primer on the reserve line or for those of you who delete the fuel selector just put the primer on the on line!
    i lengthened the on line and put it there

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by big raider View Post
    i lengthened the on line and put it there
    Me 2. and use the reserve as the "on".

Primer Install

ZMANN, when you say the "reserve line" are you referring to the line that comes right off of the on/off/reserve switch? Is this where you install T fitting?

Also, I installed all of the primer lines to each carb by way of old oil injection lines. Is this okay? I just here everybody on this post say to use the acc pump fittings or where the choke use to occupy, but noone has mentioned where the oil injection use to inject.

Forest,

I've done both the old choke holes and the old oil lines. Both seem to work ok.

Talking

not this again! i thought we had discussed this at length......

the primer works FINE when run from the RETURN line, with no loops..... it primes the carb internals AND the squirters in the throat......

if you pull from the RESERVE line or any supply line,,which works just fine too, you just suck fuel directly from the tank then squirt into the throat.......

whatever makes you happy,,,,,

if you have your doubts, i have two boats that have had this almost two years now and start with just a couple pumps... cold...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RDH View Post
    the primer works FINE when run from the RETURN line, with no loops..... it primes the carb internals AND the squirters in the throat......

if you pull from the RESERVE line or any supply line,,which works just fine too, you just suck fuel directly from the tank then squirt into the throat.......
    NO, it DOESN'T.

I had my doubts about using the return line on my Ultra, but several people assured me that it would work. It depends on where the return fitting is relative to the fuel level in the tank. If the fuel level is completely full, it may work. I can assure you that it did NOT work on my 'Ski. The return line was a lot easier to reach, and, therefore, more desireable, but it didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    NO, it DOESN'T.

I had my doubts about using the return line on my Ultra, but several people assured me that it would work. It depends on where the return fitting is relative to the fuel level in the tank. If the fuel level is completely full, it may work. I can assure you that it did NOT work on my 'Ski. The return line was a lot easier to reach, and, therefore, more desireable, but it didn't work.
    fuel level has nothing to do with it, it doesnt pull directly from the tank, there is no hose on the inside of the tank on the return line to pull from...... it draws the fuel through the carbs from the main and reserve lines and then down the return line, on its way back to DUMP in the tank is when it hits the primer T......

it may not have worked for you..... but i assure you, IT WORKS....

lol! I love this debate! and I am glad we are all friends! specially RDH!
    I use the reserve end of my story and my test results .I have 4 ski's with primers on the reserve but I also
    still use the fuel on off reserve switch ( rebuilt x 4) but this works for me every time with no issue what so ever

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    lol! I love this debate! and I am glad we are all friends! specially RDH!
    I use the reserve end of my story and my test results .I have 4 ski's with primers on the reserve but I also
    still use the fuel on off reserve switch ( rebuilt x 4) but this works for me every time with no issue what so ever
    hey what are friends for

i dont use the switch, and i dropped my reserve and main down to the bottom of the tank, the lines go directly from the tank to the carbs..... so you guys running switch's only use one line at a time, i pull with two at a time, maybe thats why its difficult for some to prime from the return..... im playing devils advocate here....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information