Hawkeye DF1000D or Humminbird HDR610P?

I'm looking to install a depth sounder on my Sportster LE. I am looking at the Hawkeye DF1000D and the Humminbird HDR610P. Does one of these perform better than the other? Has anyone had any issues with either?

Quote Originally Posted by fdesorme View Post
    I'm looking to install a depth sounder on my Sportster LE. I am looking at the Hawkeye DF1000D and the Humminbird HDR610P. Does one of these perform better than the other? Has anyone had any issues with either?
    I accidently chose Hawkeye, Norcross Marine, and I found it to be very good. Also Norcross in Orlando has great customer service. Talk to Patrick there. I found the Hummingbird's later and they look ok. I only have expierence with the Hawkeye. Be sure to get the puck that's rated for 60+ mph.

I have the Hummingbird HDR610P, and i am very satisfied with it, it is quite precise, and can read speed even in WOT speeds (even if my ride isn't the fastest one...!)

I think the Hawkeye is actually a copy of the HDR610P so they look actually very similar, i think the Hawkeye cost less.

I picked up the Hawkeye yesterday. I installed it this morning and tested it this afternoon. It has no problems reading at all speeds. I didn't realize that it also had a deep water alarm so the alarm kept on beeping as the factory setting sets the deep water alarm at 0ft. Won't make that mistake again!

OK, I am bewildered now

I installed my depth sounder and puck (in the hull) thought I had it set up right, I guess not. A little help from those with a little experience in this. I used marine epoxy from Lowes, 50 min to harden 12 hours to cure, did I use the right epoxy? Maybe a non marine grade would be better? THe symptom, sitting still it works great, if it is less than 25ft deep, once I get above 18 MPH it cuts out, but at times, when the water drops down to say 7 or 8 ft it comes back on briefly. I tried turning, reverse, manuevers and such, no difference whether working or not. I thought I had it working with the vaseline. Any help or troubleshooting before I knock it out and try again. Thanks

J

nofd843, I am experiencing similar issues with my Hawkeye. Works great going slow and shallow but kinda comes and goes if the water gets deeper or if i go fast. I have had readings up to 80 feet while doing around 30MPH but it does not maintain a good lock.
    It sounds like I used the same kind of epoxy you did. Problem now is how do I get the stuff I used off and where to purchase the correct stuff.

What is everyone using that has had a successful puck install?

Guys, check this out...this worked great for me. You definately have to mount the puck at an angle to get accurate readings. The shallow water alarm is why I bought the aftermarket one instead of the seadoo (and also price). Seadoo has no alarm. If you continue to have problems with the Norcross, contact Patrick at Norcross Marine. They have great customer service. Mention Larry from Jax and you'll get good attention.
    [email protected]

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...09&postcount=1

I mounted the puck right in front of the motor, just under the edge of the gas tank. Norcross says to use a clear slow setting epoxy, but I used a marine epoxy and don't have any issues. The trick is really finding a place where the fiberglass is only one layer, with no air gaps. I actually has a couple of rare earth magnets lying around so before mounting I put one on the interior of the hull then swept the other on the exterior of the hull.

When the magnets attracted each other through the hull I knew it was a perfect spot.

I do know that the correct adhesive is a must. soft adhesives or silicones will absorb signal/waves. an adhesive that is hard and solid is best.
    I actuall had a transom mount on my ski... with custom billet mounting plate.

for futute ref, take a look at Standard horizon products. works awesome at all speeds has both high and low alarms...

a bit off topic, but here`s a look at the transom mount for an RXDI.
    We utilized a drain plug hole for location...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 09-29-2008 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    a bit off topic, but here`s a look at the transom mount for an RXDI.
    We utilized a drain plug hole for location...
    Hey Andy! Been looking for you. Tried to pm you with a few pages about the tops valve from the engine service manual...talks about how much resistance and other goodies.

I used the transom mount on my Hawkeye originally but I kept busting it loose while beaching or doing stupid stuff. It just didn't work well for me and caused some drag.

Thread Information