Thinking of a Seadoo

I am thinking of getting a 1996 seadoo gtx with a... 787 (110 hp i think)? the owner said that there was smoke and it quit running and it turns over now, but seems to be lacking compression (assuming lost a piston). anyways, is there anything else to look out for in this ski, and i think parts are cheaper for the seadoo then for my polaris. Hom many hours service life is in these motors, also what would be a round about for a rebuild/replacement engine?

I used to work on Polaris, they are a fun ride but extremely easy to throw the cranks out of phase. I can't count how many mid to late 90's Polaris pwc's that went through cranks. I know the sea-doo cranks are a lot tougher as I have swamped mine once really badly and it runs really well after drying it up.

...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rcngmoto View Post
    I am thinking of getting a 1996 seadoo gtx with a... 787 (110 hp i think)? the owner said that there was smoke and it quit running and it turns over now, but seems to be lacking compression (assuming lost a piston). anyways, is there anything else to look out for in this ski, and i think parts are cheaper for the seadoo then for my polaris. Hom many hours service life is in these motors, also what would be a round about for a rebuild/replacement engine?
    The tools I always bring with me when inspecting a 'Ski or Jet Boat are: Socket Set, Compression Tester, Phillips & Flathead Screwdriver, and a Flashlight.

Compression test the Motor to see if indeed there is a Piston that was lost. IIRC Optimum (or perfect) Compression for the 787 Motor is between 150-160. You really don't want anything below 130 and both Cylinders should be within, at the most, 10psi of eachother.

Take a look at the Plugs when you pull them out. It will let you know if it's been running Rich or Lean. Look inside the Spark Plug holes with the Flashlight and take a look at the tops of the Pistons for any Carbon build-up or signs of Detonation.

Look inside the Pump from the front & back with the Flashlight to check the condition of the Impeller and Driveshaft.

Take the Cover off the Starter Solenoid & Relay box and inspect the internals for Rust or Corrosion.

Play with the Throttle to see that it moves freely and doesn't stick or bind up.

i would highly recommend getting a seadoo. they are easy to work on for the most part and parts are usually readily available. the 787cc motor is a very reliable motor and if it was rebuilt well you shouldnt have any problems with it for a long time.

Well i ended up getting a 1998 gtx limited with a 951. the ski has 150 hours on it total and there was no compression on the pto piston when i got it. well i got the motor tore out today and well there is i nice sized hole on the bottom where a rod made a messy exit, long in short not much left on the motor that is very good, so i guess i am in the hunt for a motor. the ski itself is nearly perfect, and i got it for 350 bucks so, anyone has a lead on a motor let me know.

+1
    Fix it, that ski has a great hull, is decently fast and will pull anything I have put behind it. If you rebuild it properly and go through the carbs and fuel system you will have a great ski that will last you a few years with no problems.

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
    and be done with it, (for a while)

+1
    The best thing I ever did to any 951 was to get rid of the stock air box. That has to be the worst place to put an air intake

After installing the new engine, put A/M flame arrestors on it, rejet the carbs, and tweak the prop. I've gotten nothing but good times out of my 951s once I got the air box off the bottom of the bilge. Be sure to keep a close eye on the mount bushings for the exhaust pipe. Another weak point.

Thread Information