Exclamation Newbie, need help, suggestions, thoughts…

I know nothing about skis. I’m looking at a used 1994 Polaris sl750. What should I look for and what questions to ask? Compression, leaks, past repairs, any thing I should look for or ask??? What should the price range be? Should I ask if its been used in salt water? Any help would great be appreciated.

Thanks,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BWard View Post
    I know nothing about skis. I’m looking at a used 1994 Polaris sl750. What should I look for and what questions to ask? Compression, leaks, past repairs, any thing I should look for or ask??? What should the price range be? Should I ask if its been used in salt water? Any help would great be appreciated.

Thanks,
    First I'd like to say WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums??

I'd check compression first, the cylinders should be within 10% of one another, roughly 120PSI.
    Makes sure you have full RPM's and that it's a smooth delivery from start to top speed. No hesitation, no miss etc. as this could indicate you're in for a carb rebuild, fuel lines etc.
    Check impeller and wear ring for damage.
    The cosmetics and body damage will be subjective but as long as any repairs have been completed and there are no cracks you should be O.K.
    www.nada.com will give you an idea of price.

Asking if it was used in Salt Water would be a good thing to ask. If so ask what was done after each ride. You should always flush out your ski with fresh water after a salt water ride and spray main parts with corrosion block. Also, ask if it has ever been submerged (filled with water) and if so what was done afterwards...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Here is a general guide of things to look for when buying a PWC. Not Polaris specific, I found this on another web site, and revised it for my own use.

This should give you an idea of the evaluation process. Keep in mind you are looking at a 14 year old model, so there will almost always be things that are not quite right, and will need attention and/or money, even if it seems to be running OK right now.

Reliability in an older PWC takes some effort, as you will need to check many things, and hopefully most of those things will be OK, but you won't know until you really get into it.

Download the 1992-1998 Service Manual, and search and read through here for the threads covering the common upgrades and fixes for these Fuji engined Polaris models.

Pay particular attention to the 'Sticky' threads at the top of each Polaris forum section. These contain many common questions and issues, and are a very useful resource.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome,Were do you live,We have members here that sell skis once in a while. Are you looking for something that has a little more spunk. Alot buy a stock ski then do upgrades with performance mods. Alot of time it's cheaper to buy one already with upgrades and improvements.

More questions and thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    Welcome,Were do you live,We have members here that sell skis once in a while. Are you looking for something that has a little more spunk. Alot buy a stock ski then do upgrades with performance mods. Alot of time it's cheaper to buy one already with upgrades and improvements.
    I live in Kentucky and I'm a newbie in everyway. I thought it would be fun for the family to try out a ski also figured it would be best to start out with a older model. Haven't a clue what I'm getting in to. I found this site from a google search and it looked like I could find some good answers to my questions.

Do any of you know if the 1994 ls750 have reverse and or electric start? Also would this ski be able to pull a tube w/ a 100 pound kid?

Thanks for all you help, great site...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BWard View Post
    I live in Kentucky and I'm a newbie in everyway. I thought it would be fun for the family to try out a ski also figured it would be best to start out with a older model.
    Haven't a clue what I'm getting in to.
    I found this site from a Google search and it looked like I could find some good answers to my questions.

Do any of you know if the 1994 SL750 have reverse and or electric start?
    Also would this ski be able to pull a tube w/ a 100 pound kid?..
    Update your Profile with your location and such, so we can better keep track of who needs help with what.

All Polaris PWC are electric start, as are most, if not all modern PWC (1990's and newer).

The blue Fuji engined Polaris PWC (1992-1997) are fairly straight forward to work on, especially with the information in the Service Manual, combined with the help you will find here.

Starting in 1996, Polaris built their own 'domestic' engines, usually painted red. The domestic engines are more powerful for the same engine size, but not really any more complicated or easier to work on the the Fuji engines.

A two cylinder 700cc domestic has the same or more power (1998 onwards 95HP) than most models of the three cylinder blue Fuji engines, in stock configurations. The three cylinder red domestic engines are quite strong, up to 140HP ratings.

I don't know if the 1994 SL750 had reverse.

Reverse on a PWC is less useful than you might imagine. The later Polaris model years had a more effective reverse bucket design, but even then, many riders rarely use their reverse, once they get used to riding it.

The reverse thrust is much less effective than forward thrust, and increasing the throttle actually doesn't give you much more reverse thrust, due to the aeration of the jet pump intake water.

In many areas, legally pulling a skier or tube requires a 3 seat PWC;
    Driver, spotter, and a place for the person being pulled.

The SL is a two seat model. The 3 seat version would be SLT, which in later years became the SLTX, then upgraded as Virage/Freedom models.

Power wise, the 1994 750 engine was rated at 80 horsepower. Enough power for pulling a tuber, with just the driver on board.

The SL750 can handle two people on board, but will be a little tippy at slow speeds, and when (re)boarding the second person in deeper water. The SL models are really happiest with only one full size person, and maybe one really light person.

For family oriented use, a 3 person PWC would be a better choice. They are more stable on the water, more room when carrying two people, and meet the legal requirements for towing someone. Overall length for a 3 seat model is about a foot longer, and maybe 100 pounds heavier.

If you ride in choppy or open water, the 3 seat models, with their longer hulls, provide a smoother ride.
    Last edited by K447; 06-27-2008 at 04:53 PM.

Thread Information