Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Honda reliable?

Honda reliable?

Hi, i was thinking of getting an 05 R12x, and was wondering if its a good ski, want something quick but will probly leave it mostly stock, and do you feel that this ski is reliable?

Bought mine new in may of 07 with 0 hours.
    Currently sitting at 122 HARD hours still running like hour 1.

Oil changes every 25 hours with Amsoil.
    Lube all points listed in manual regularly.

Thats all ive had to do so far.
    Totally satisfied with my purchase.

im a watercraft tech at a large dealer. hondas are very reliable. since those skis came out, we have only had 2 complete engine rebuilds. 1 due to an extra bolt during production that wedged itself into the crank. a few for oil leaks, o rings that are faulty. the only thing you need to be sure to take care of is the turbo, it must be lubricated per the mantainance schedule, ive seen a few of those lock up. sometimes we can free them up. they are a really good boat. i would not hesitate if you are looking at a honda.

Thats awsome, now how would you lube the turbo, would it be safe to spray 656 lube right into the inlet of the turbo, i will be using it in salt water so i want to be safe.

Just a heads up on Honda reliabilty. I recently competed in an enduro consisting of 2 x 2hr races over 2 days. We were running in Open Class & although most other ski were faster than us, we made the podium in 3rd spot. Most of the other skis had mechanical issues. There were 2 x R12-X's racing. The other was in Stock out of the Box Class & he also ran 3rd.

We ran with 24lb of boost & the only trouble we had was we blew a spark plug towards the end of the race (2 laps to go), but still managed to finish.

We averaged about 90km/h including fuel stop and rider changes. Another thing that aided the Hondas was its fuel economy, with only 1 fuel stop needed.

By the way a slightly modded 06 RXP won the Open Class

thats pretty good to hear, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by patrat View Post
    Just a heads up on Honda reliabilty. I recently competed in an enduro consisting of 2 x 2hr races over 2 days. We were running in Open Class & although most other ski were faster than us, we made the podium in 3rd spot. Most of the other skis had mechanical issues. There were 2 x R12-X's racing. The other was in Stock out of the Box Class & he also ran 3rd.

We ran with 24lb of boost & the only trouble we had was we blew a spark plug towards the end of the race (2 laps to go), but still managed to finish.

We averaged about 90km/h including fuel stop and rider changes. Another thing that aided the Hondas was its fuel economy, with only 1 fuel stop needed.

By the way a slightly modded 06 RXP won the Open Class
    wow.. very interesting. what other mods did u have or did u crank up to 24lb of boost on stock setup ??? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KDSD731 View Post
    im a watercraft tech at a large dealer. hondas are very reliable. since those skis came out, we have only had 2 complete engine rebuilds. 1 due to an extra bolt during production that wedged itself into the crank. a few for oil leaks, o rings that are faulty. the only thing you need to be sure to take care of is the turbo, it must be lubricated per the mantainance schedule, ive seen a few of those lock up. sometimes we can free them up. they are a really good boat. i would not hesitate if you are looking at a honda.

Don't mean to rain on your parade but I bought one of those leftover 2005 r12x turbos last Sept., it started cavitating after 3 hours. had to reseal pump backing plate. Now after 27 hours it lost compression in the #2 cylinder and has been at the dealer for 2 weeks waiting to get looked at. I am a master tech for Lexus so I know it is a mechanical problem. I'm thinking a broken valve or a cracked piston. I ride the ski extremely hard keeping up with all my friends on rxp's. If anyone out these has heard of a Honda losing compression please reply on what was the cause. Compression reading is zero. The engine does not make any knocking noises or tapping. just runs with no power only mod was a macboost chip in for 17 hr

Quote Originally Posted by islandboy View Post
    wow.. very interesting. what other mods did u have or did u crank up to 24lb of boost on stock setup ??? thanks
    We are running Autronics SM4, Larger Turbo, MAC Intercooler. The water/air temp was cold where the Enduro was run, which allowed us to run that much boost. Where we normally race in the Northern Queensland waters, we can only run 20/21 lb, because of heat soak.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jcstinger View Post

Don't mean to rain on your parade but I bought one of those leftover 2005 r12x turbos last Sept., it started cavitating after 3 hours. had to reseal pump backing plate. Now after 27 hours it lost compression in the #2 cylinder and has been at the dealer for 2 weeks waiting to get looked at. I am a master tech for Lexus so I know it is a mechanical problem. I'm thinking a broken valve or a cracked piston. I ride the ski extremely hard keeping up with all my friends on rxp's. If anyone out these has heard of a Honda losing compression please reply on what was the cause. Compression reading is zero. The engine does not make any knocking noises or tapping. just runs with no power only mod was a macboost chip in for 17 hr
    Make sure you pull the McBoost chip off before you carry it to the Dealer. Honda is bad about using excuses on their warranty. 90% of the time it is a valve spring failure that causes the problem. Did you send a borescope into the plug hole to see what happened?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information