I made a rive performance intake water shield.

So all this talk about water ingestion got my creative juices flowing. I recently installed my panel filter and my riva intake. Then I saw the issues others were having with the water getting into the engine and decided to make my own cover so here it is. Patent pending!

I went to a couple places looking for some thin tin or alum. sheet to fab something with. Well I ended up going to Ace Hardware because HD didnt have what I wanted. I ended up buying a tin 4" stove pipe and it worked perfectly. It was already split down the middle but I also ended up buying some tin snips to cut it to shape. The pipe was like $3.50 and the snips were $9. I will be trying it out this weekend, camping out on the lake for 3 days(gotta beat the 4th of July rush) and reporting back my findings.

All in all, it wasnt that bad to make. Just watch the sharp tin because it will slice the hell out of you. It covers the intake area completly, the rubber hose on the side was to prevent the fuel pump wires or hoses from getting cut.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0322_1.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	80146   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0323_1.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	80147   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0324_1.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	80148   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0325_1.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	80149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0326_1.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	80150   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0327_1.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	80151  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0328_1.JPG 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	80152   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0329_1.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	80153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0330_1.JPG 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	80154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0331_1.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	80155  

I also wanted to add that I remember some saying the Riva intake may not flow as much air due to the filter and why are they using one. Well I noticed that its not a filter but a vapor shield(spark arrestor), there is no gauze in it. Its a metal mesh that you can see through if you hold it to the light. This appears to be used for the prevention of fuel vapor inside the hull from igniting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0332_1.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	80156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0333_1.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	80157  

+1
    I'm not sure why the aftermarket use any filter on their inlet systems. The flame arrester is actually the intercooler.

Nice water shield!!

Thanks, its Riva guys sorry.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blownhotrodder View Post
    So all this talk about water ingestion got my creative juices flowing. I recently installed my panel filter and my riva intake. Then I saw the issues others were having with the water getting into the engine and decided to make my own cover so here it is. Patent pending!

I went to a couple places looking for some thin tin or alum. sheet to fab something with. Well I ended up going to Ace Hardware because HD didnt have what I wanted. I ended up buying a tin 4" stove pipe and it worked perfectly. It was already split down the middle but I also ended up buying some tin snips to cut it to shape. The pipe was like $3.50 and the snips were $9. I will be trying it out this weekend, camping out on the lake for 3 days(gotta beat the 4th of July rush) and reporting back my findings.

All in all, it wasnt that bad to make. Just watch the sharp tin because it will slice the hell out of you. It covers the intake area completly, the rubber hose on the side was to prevent the fuel pump wires or hoses from getting cut.
    Hey Blown, You could make those, sell them for about 50 bucks and make a ton. How long did it take for the first one????

Looks nice. Only thing I was wondering is if it will soak up heat since it is metal, thus heating the air going in. Since I live in Florida, I have to always think about that heat. I wonder if a plastic shield might be another choice. Dont know what you would use though

Shield looks nice. Keep us posted as to how it worked for ya.

Red- you mentioned something about a plasitc one, you can go to just about any car stereo shop and get some of the black ABS plastic and make it out of that. As for the shaping I think you could use a low heat gun to soften it up and then form it around any shape you desire.

+1
    good idea and nice work.

maybe i will make something similar for my 15f

Thanks guys, I did look for something plastic that I could use but under the short deadline I needed something this weekend. So this was 1 day of product research and development. Its really easy to make and just goes to show you that necesity is the art of enginuity or some junk like that. I wouldnt worry about heat soak. It would probably be the same as the air temp. inside the hull.

Well my bald head is sunburnt and im tired but Im happy to report everything worked without a problem. Would take about an hour or two and less than $15 to make. I must say im very happy with the U250 now. Later.........

Thread Information