1971 Ford Mustang question

http://dallas.craigslist.org/car/721568138.html
    Need advice for purchase for my son. The guy is asking 5500, I got him down to 4500, however the car has alot of cosmetic stuff that needs fixing. One of my questions is it has hail damage(why anyone would leave a classic out I'll never undeerstand)how hard is it to repair hail damage, it has alot of scratches and paint flakes here and there and the passenger fender looks like his son scraped it against something. aThe dash has a crack in it , the seats have a few rips here and there, it has an a/c leak, and he suggested that it would be good to replace all the rubber parts of the car. He drives it about once a week to keep it going, We got in and drove it around the neighborhood. Didn't hear anything out of the ordinary, brakes worked. He changed it from a 2 barrel to a 4 barrel. I didn't see any rust on the outside but there is in the trunk....
    What would be a fair price for this car and is it worth it for a teenager for school.....
    Thanks for any advice you all have for me......

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    I do dabble in classics(I have a '64 Chevelle) I'm more into Chevys than Ford, but I will give an honest opinion.

71 isn't the most desireable of the classic 'stangs but the design hasn't strayed far from the iconic 67-70 era. So the style comes down to your preference.

The one thing about the ad that you can't really tell from the pic is his claim of not having to look for the small parts. If you've looked it over and the chrome, trim, and interior parts (lights, ash trays, lighters, etc) are all there it can be a real time and cash saver.

Dents, dings and upholstery damage are the norm for a ready to restore car especially when original paint and interior are claimed.

Bottomline. I think its a decent deal for a running classic, with good potential. So if your gut instinct say go for it, I would.

The uniqueness and undesirableness(if even a word lol) are the factor that sold myself and my son on the car.........he's not into the same ole same ole style that everyone has or wants.......Im just worried I wont find a good dealership to do the system checks correctly as we are new to the classic car world....any suggestions in this area?

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDiva View Post
    The uniqueness and undesirableness(if even a word lol) are the factor that sold myself and my son on the car.........he's not into the same ole same ole style that everyone has or wants.......Im just worried I wont find a good dealership to do the system checks correctly as we are new to the classic car world....any suggestions in this area?
    Hmmm that is alttle bit of a hard one, if you drive into a Ford dealership with 38 year old car they'll look at you like you have two heads. Since you are in the DFW area I would check the net and news papers for car clubs and events. A few drive in nights or car shows and you should be able to find some quality shops to work on a classic.

I'm glad you and your son like the style, that makes owning a classic a pleasure.

speedDiva, Darth gave excellent advice, to bad he`s on the other team.
    I`m into Fords, and IMHO I think that`s still a good hunk of change. I would offer 3-3.5K, no more...
    looks like he`s trying to recoup some $$$ that he has into it.
    also adding those type of mods as mentioned insinuates that they might have driven the car harder to feel the seat-o-the pants of those easy add-ons.

That stang is nothing special, not saying this is bad, but 302V8, auto, prolly 8" open 2:75 rear Grande model doesn`t really demand high dollar unless it`s mint and very low mileage, this one is not...
    yes you can still aquire parts for it:
    softseal rubber
    Dearborn classics
    Pierogie enterprises in Hightstown, NJ is a well know Ford resto parts place...

to make the car worry free ie: bushings, suspension, U-joints etc and going over all of the car will require lots of time and searching...to avoid break downs.

The 302 is reliable, strong. I didn`t see where the seller mentions a total rebulid other than recon heads and usual mods. tighteneing up the top end puts more stress on the aging bottom end (crank/rod bearings)
    hopefully he at leas installed a Melling HV oil pump and new pick up...

at that stage of the game I would have bored .030 over, used flat tops, some exhaust porting or 1969 351W heads, etc etc to yeild a respectable 250-300HP with all the right components.

well good luck in your decision and remember to have fun while building this project...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 06-28-2008 at 04:20 PM.

Thread Information