Thread: Women and Risk

Women and Risk

Came across an interesting statistic. In 2007, 90% of all fatal boating accidents (including PWCs) in Fla involved male operators. Why?

Who knows. But plug that metric into traditional game theory analysis and only one right strategy emerges. Pack as many women into ride group as possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Women & Risk.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	80230  

how about I graph to show the percentage of male/ female riders then find the accident percentage from that ?

Women and Risk

Good idea ZMANN....but I'll bet you find that the percentage still heavily favors the male....why? It's pretty obvious that the statistics show that males are the higher risk of the two sexes; and probably always will be. The reason is fairly simple in some terms; men simply take more risks than women and probably always will. Plus, (at least in most societies) men feel the need to protect women and children from risk. Just take a look at any recreational boat with women and children aboard; if anyone isn't wearing a PFD, it's Dad. Mom doesn't mind protecting herself and her children, but Dad isn't the one who is going to fall overboard....or is he? Lots of accidents resulting in fatalities happen because Dad fell in the drink and wasn't wearing a PFD. Now Mom has to raise the children herself and/or find another Dad. And, it's because Dad had a mental block that tells him "Dad, you are the protector and you won't die"....the problem is that Dad knows inherently that he can die, just as he knows that bad things won't happen to him; they happen to other people. It takes a life-altering event for Dad to truly understand why he needs to wear a life jacket...and take fewer risks. But, then risks are some of the very reason for life! If we could get through life never taking a single risk, we'd not be living at all! Risks are what we do and there isn't a single person on the planet (alive) who isn't taking risks everyday. More people are injured in their homes than anywhere. You took a risk this morning just getting out of bed!

So why do men (argueably) take more risks than women? Because we have the need to push the envelope, to see what we can/can't do, and simply be MEN! It's in our blood, we cannot stop ourselves from taking risks. Even at the hereditary level, we take risks;
    This guy, Putt Mossman, predated Evel Kneivel by 40 years...he was in his 50's when this video was taken and was still doing the same stuff in the 70's. He was my mom's uncle and yes, it's still in the family (see attached photo; I'm the one with the helmet).

I think men will always get killed in motorsports at a higher rate (by participation) than women, because that's who we are. My 2 cents. M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT1838.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	509.7 KB 
ID:	80268  

Some of my text got dropped?

Hmmm, for some reason some of my text got dropped out? Anyway, the video was shot in the 60's and is of a motorcycle stunt man named Putt Mossman. He predated Evel Kneivel by decades and was in his late 50's when this video was taken. He was still jumping buildings (blindfolded) when he was well into his 60's with motorcycles. And, Putt Mossman was my mom's uncle; so some risk-taking could be in the blood! The photo is evidence of risk-taking (I'm the one with the helmet...) and I don't think there's a male out there who hasn't partaken in some sort of "unecessary" risk...so yes, we get killed more often than women (because women are smarter than us and seldom feel the uncontrollable urge to do something stupid like men do) M

women cause men to take risks

Lets see the stat that shows how many of the men who were in accidents were "showing off" in front of women

+1
    I think this should be a hormonal post.
    LOL

Life is risk, born, live, die. In that order and thank you very much I take a lot of risks, I don't have any answer to this thread, people just go.
    I am one of them.

Team Tampon rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    how about I graph to show the percentage of male/ female riders then find the accident percentage from that ?
    That would be an interesting adjustment. But a skewed ratio might prove the same point--going quickly across water is disproportionately attractive to males.

Or as Lurker suggests, women wreak disproportionate havoc in their wake and have better instincts when to exit stage left.

Either way, we need to clone more Shawns!

+1
    Thought this was interesting...

"Men are more than twice as likely to die in a car crash than women, consider the yearly statistics shown below. In fact, studies have shoiwn as many as 73 percent of all people killed in car accidents are male. Since record keeping began: male fatalities significantly outweigh female fatalities...

What accounts for this disparity?

Some researchers believe the explanation is to be found hormones related to aggessiveness, others put more emphasis on data such as the measurebly greater alcohol use among men while driving..."

Car Accidents Statstics By Sex: Men and Woman Drivers
    http://www.car-accidents.com/pages/c...men-woman.html

+1
    Speaking of accidents... TWO YEARS IN A ROW...

MISS USA 2008 FALLS ON HER REAR END---AGAIN!!!

+1
    I fall on my rear end every day at work, its quite attractive. LOL

Thread Information