Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Engine Compartment Flooded FIRST TIME USED

PROBLEM FIXED... whole side of the ski had been struck damaging the Sponson and the OPAS paddle. Someone replaced the OPAS paddle and forgot the SEAL and that is why it leaked. I couldnt find the leak because I didnt tip the jet ski up while it was full of water.

THANKS GUYS

The rod on the opas is still bent but does not need to be replaced. So I am going to just buy block off plates when I get the time and money.

Also anyone in Florida Tampa area Barney's is the best. It is a huge beutiful place with a gigantic show room and service center.
    Last edited by autoxracer83; 07-11-2006 at 03:42 PM.

+1
    Sorry to hear what happened...hope no water got into the engine. Some possible causes are: a hose disconnected or a loose clamp, carbon ring defective, hull defective where driveshaft goes thru it.....hope this will at least provide a start as to where to look.

Richard

What is the carbon ring?

All of this would likely be covered by the warranty correct?

A similar problem happened to "Pettee" on this forum...All was covered under warranty...I think his carbon seal was bad...

I read up on the carbon seal problems. Tell me if this is correct? I should fill the hull with water up to the drive shaft hieght. Then see if it is leaking. Then if not leaking start it up while flushing to see if it starts leaking out the seal?

If it is leaking out the seal it would come out the intake grate area?

AutoX- I just replaced a carbon seal on my RXP! Sometimes people spray lube on the engine and get the seal coated with an oil adhesive on them which is a no-no! When I pulled the seal out, it looked fine but it can't have any imperfections! Also check the fiberglass molding around where the shaft comes inside the hull (Shib or Hulk can tell you more about this). Since I had the shaft out and 80 hours on the ski, I replaced the carbon seal and added a silicone around the shaft entry. Have a dealer inspect the hull!

Quote Originally Posted by autoxracer83
    I read up on the carbon seal problems. Tell me if this is correct? I should fill the hull with water up to the drive shaft hieght. Then see if it is leaking. Then if not leaking start it up while flushing to see if it starts leaking out the seal?

If it is leaking out the seal it would come out the intake grate area?
    Correct. Check all of your hoses, something may have come loose and is spraying water everywhere when the ski is running in the water.

While flushing.

This is obviously a lot more water than what is being fed by the hose.

A little water is coming from the exhuast (good)

A little water out of this tiny hole bottom right kinda behind the ehaust. (maybee the bildge but I HAVE NO CLUE)

Lots of water everywhere else... ONLY WHILE RUNNING

This thing does not leak otherwise.
    Last edited by autoxracer83; 07-11-2006 at 03:43 PM.

+1
    When you first started it without the hose turned on did it leak? I would not run the hose to find the problem you are trying to find. 15 to 30 seconds with no water will not harm anything.

Have someone back the trailer in the water while you are on the back of the RXT and looking into the engine compartment. You will see where the water is coming from.

Look at the carbon ring area (has a slinky looking rubber piece). Center of hull on the bottom.

Look at the OPAS distributor. Has 2 hoses coming from it center/back of hull

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information