Something I Can Do?

My Polaris Virage has been acting up lately. It will max out at like 30 mph, then get a kick and jump up to 40 and then back down. At first I thought it was the fuel (I filled the tank by accident before putting it away for the winter). After talking to some people I think it could be the Carb or Fuel Lines. I ahve never done any work on ANY ski, so would this be something that is pretty easy to do? I'm not too worried about the fuel lines, but I have a feeling that the carb might give me some trouble.

I also talked to a mechanic at a dealership and he said that it sounds like the wear ring is corroded. So, if I pull the carb and it STILL doesn't run well then would I be able to change the wearing ring myself, or would I have to have a professional do that?

+1
    Goliath, If you feel uncomfortable with the carbs send them to Randy at Watcon and let him go through them.
    Not only will you need to clean them but you need to adjust throttle stops, check and/or adjust pop-off etc. In order to do some of these things it will require tools. If you don't have them, it's hardly worth the expense of buying them, the kits and making the repair yourself.

Randy will use only the gaskets/seals needed and charge about 50 bucks per carb for rebuild. Cheap insurance to know you fuel issue isn't carb related. Certainly replace the fuel line as the stuff deteriorates. plugs fuel systems and of course restrics fuel flow.

What do the plugs looklike?
    Piston wash?
    Any MFD warning lamps?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
    My Polaris Virage has been acting up lately. It will max out at like 30 mph, then get a kick and jump up to 40 and then back down...

I also talked to a mechanic at a dealership and he said that it sounds like the wear ring is corroded...
    The wear ring is part of the jet pump, and I do not think it could cause the symptoms you are reporting.

It wouldn't hurt to inspect the jet pump with a good flashlight, but I doubt you will see anything out of the ordinary. If you DO see any debris or bent blades, then that should be fixed, but probably not your current problem source.

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Goliath, If you feel uncomfortable with the carbs send them to Randy at Watcon and let him go through them.
    Not only will you need to clean them but you need to adjust throttle stops, check and/or adjust pop-off etc. In order to do some of these things it will require tools. If you don't have them, it's hardly worth the expense of buying them, the kits and making the repair yourself.

Randy will use only the gaskets/seals needed and charge about 50 bucks per carb for rebuild. Cheap insurance to know you fuel issue isn't carb related. Certainly replace the fuel line as the stuff deteriorates. plugs fuel systems and of course restrics fuel flow.

What do the plugs looklike?
    Piston wash?
    Any MFD warning lamps?
    I replaced the plugs. I figured $9 for new plugs was fine. Not sure what Piston Wash is. There are no warning lights on the display...

Oh and I have PLENTY of tools, so odds are I will have the right stuff.

Thread Information