2000 xl 1200 won't run help??

I am a long time lurker and infrequent poster

I have a 2000 xl 1200 with 45 hours on it. I used it all last summer and it ran flawlessly. I winterized it by putting stabil into fuel tank, and fogging oil into the cylinders. I just fired up the skis to get going (other ski is a 04 gp1300r) as I've been pretty busy lately. The xl ran fine on the hose. dropped it in and ran good for 150 yards than bogged down. I limped back to the ramp pulled it out. Drained all the fuel, fresh fuel filter, and more fresh plugs. Again, ran good on the hose, dropped it back in today and it ran like crap, bogged just wouldn't run. Rode the GP (which ran fine) when I got home checked the plugs they were fine, although the last set I took out were a little fouled. the thing that concerned me is that I thought there was water in the pistons when I pulled the plugs out. I put my finger over the holes, pressed the starter and they were blown off and they were greasy in each cylinder. I did a compression test, and all three cylinders were 100lbs. I may be mistaken about the water. And again this is the first time I've put them in the water this year, they ran great last year. I always start ski, turn on hose, turn off hose, and turn off ski when running on the hose, and I am always there when the ski is used and it has not been flipped. Any thoughts???

Checked the spark today and tried to start it. The spark looked a little weak. Would not start and while trying to start I got the volt alarm on the dash. The motor spun freely and the battery seemed to have plenty of power. There is definately spark on each plug. Is the spark on these usually a fat blue spark or a skinny light blue spark? What causes the volt alarm to go off? I was thinking I may have a carb problem with the ethanol in the gas, and now am wondering if perhaps it is an electrical issue. It also has a D-plate. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

+1
    Charge the battery, rebuild the carbs. you may need a new battery if the one you have is old. Get a gell battery. and a battery tender.

The battery in it turned the motor over easily with the plugs in. Still think battery? How difficult is it to rebuild/clean carbs on a scale of 1-10 with changing plugs a 1? it just looks like a real pain with all the exhaust stuff there. I've redone carbs on dirt bikes quads, and older street bikes, but they were always easy to get too. I am just apprehensive about digging into this. Thanks again

P.S. I did charge the battery. I was wondering if the volt warning could be a warning for any other electrical problems stator, coils, etc

There is no winter in Hawaii! tnerb's Avatar
    The carb rebuild is not to difficult. Have a clean workspace, keep yourself organized and it will be no problem. If changing the plugs is a 1 I would rank rebuilding the carbs a 5 the first time, the second time you will rank it a 3.

I was apprehensive as well but it's not as bad as it sounds. the guys on this board are great and have been alot of help. I am in the middle of a rebuild myself and the hardest part is getting to the carbs. If your 2000 is like my 2004 once you get the carbs off the rest is easy.

The only time I see the "volt" is when I crank the motor too long. 6-7 seconds is all it takes to set the alarm off. I charged the battery and it was better but only by a second or two.

Keep us posted.

+1
    how long was it running on the hose for? long enough to get whatever bad gas out? also did you check the plugs again to see if there was water? what is top speed in the water when you put it in, I dealt with a similar problem and it was the cdi putting the ski in limp mode, ran fine on the hose but when put under a load it bogged.

No water on plugs the most recent time I took the plugs out. It does not want to run on hose at all now. It ran fine from the dock for about 100-150 yards the first time than bogged out. The next time it started and as soon as I left the dock it bogged, had to keep playing with the throttle to get it back to the dock, it would not idle at all. Will try to get it started again today. It ran fine on the hose for a couple minutes every time until the last time I brought it home than it would not start. I did crank it for several seconds with it not starting, maybe that is what caused the volt alarm, not really sure.

Your voltage alarm would have been from cranking it over too long.
    Sounds like its only running on 2 cylinders when it "bogs down".

As for cleaning your carbies, getting the exhaust will be your main problem. On an annoyance scale from 1 to 10 it would be an 11!

Thread Information