Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

03 Seadoo GTX 4tec Problem Please Assist

2003 Seadoo GTX 4-Stroke Supercharged aprox 150 hours

Ok I have a problem and I have no clue what is going on, Im use to working on 2 stokes and have never come across this problem, if anyone can assist me I would really appreachate it.

Heres the story:

Previous Day: On the water, runs great no problems at all!

Today: I took off ran great for about 45mins, I had it at the beach, then I got back on it and it seemed to be running higher RPMs at 30-40mph than normal and its a dog off the line. I could only get it up to like 40mph.

Then about 5 mins later my oil light comes on, I was close to shore to i idled in and I filled it up (it was almost empty!) Very odd cause i just happen to fill it the day before.

After filling it I put it back in the water and its running the same way very slow, smoking alot! But turns right over every time, it seems like the oil goes right in and out the back.

Either way im just lost, any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by PWCaudio.com View Post
    2003 Seadoo GTX 4-Stroke Supercharged aprox 150 hours

Ok I have a problem and I have no clue what is going on, Im use to working on 2 stokes and have never come across this problem, if anyone can assist me I would really appreachate it.

Heres the story:

Previous Day: On the water, runs great no problems at all!

Today: I took off ran great for about 45mins, I had it at the beach, then I got back on it and it seemed to be running higher RPMs at 30-40mph than normal and its a dog off the line. I could only get it up to like 40mph.

Then about 5 mins later my oil light comes on, I was close to shore to i idled in and I filled it up (it was almost empty!) Very odd cause i just happen to fill it the day before.

After filling it I put it back in the water and its running the same way very slow, smoking alot! But turns right over every time, it seems like the oil goes right in and out the back.

Either way im just lost, any ideas?
    It sounds like you may have more than one problem. You might have picked up a stick in the pump when you were at the beach. How did you check the oil level? You need to have the ski level, warm the engine, idle for 30 seconds, turn the engine off, wait for another 30 seconds - then check the oil. It should be in middle of the 2 bends on the dipstick. If the engine is smoking, you might have too much oil in the engine. If the oil level is ok, then it's time to check the engines compression... Ron

+1
    I agree with King od Fun. Even a toothpick stuck on the impeller can be devistating. I think you picked up something as you approached the beach. If it is smoking now, I think you have too much oil. Check your oil as King suggested. Try and get your oild exactly half way between the bends in the dipstick.

If i had to much oil would that cause the oil light to come on? And the other thing is it was running perfect and then all the sudden started smoking like crazy, so I would have thought if there was to much oil that it would have smoked all day long?

I checked compression, thats good, checked the intake grate, no **** in there, and oil level was below the first bend? Any more ideas guys?

am i missing something here....

he states he ran it for 45mins to the beach and then another 5mins (50 mins total) and the near empty oil light goes on and he had to add more oil. He also stated that he filled it up with oil the day before so this is a normal thing for seadooos? you get 50mins of riding and then have to fill up with oil again? i will stick with Yamaha

i dont know the seadoo 4-tecs but i am sure they were not designed to need oil ever 50 mins.

Is there any oil in the bilge? And you are sure that you filled the oil up to the correct level the day before (you did it when the ski was on a level surface)?

Quote Originally Posted by PWCaudio.com View Post
    If i had to much oil would that cause the oil light to come on? And the other thing is it was running perfect and then all the sudden started smoking like crazy, so I would have thought if there was to much oil that it would have smoked all day long?

I checked compression, thats good, checked the intake grate, no **** in there, and oil level was below the first bend? Any more ideas guys?
    When you pulled the plugs to check the compression, did all the plugs look the same? In a regular 4-stroke engine, too much oil will be whipped up by the crank and cause low oil pressure, but I'm not sure what happens to the 4-TECs with too much oil as they have no sump... Ron

+1
    Are you checking the oil with the ski level? If you were low on oil, then added more oil AND it is below the first bend (closest to the end) it is still low, OR you are losing oil. How much did you add when you were at the beach? Just a hint, or a whole quart?

You need to correct the oil problem first. Get that oil excatly half way between the bends.

Smoking engine, I believe means one of two probabilities...1) too much oil, or 2) messed up engine..oil getting into a compartment within the engine where it shold not be. That's why I suggest getting the oil level correct first.

I know it you said that you checked the intake grate...does this mean you looked through the grate at the impeller to verify there was nothing on one of the leading blades, sever wear on the wear rings, rope, etc.?

UPDATE

Ok here is what I have done so far.

Compression Test:
    Cyl #1 140psi
    Cyl #2 125psi
    Cyl #3 140psi

Impeller and Area:
    I pulled off my grate and inspected everything, there is nothing stuck or any sign of anything wrong in the area.

Oil Level:
    Oil is currently VERY high its about a 1/4" above the 2nd bend, and to answer the last question about the oil when I was at the beach and oil light came on, it was after I was smoking like crazy, I checked the level and the stick was VERY hot and the level was not even registering on the stick so I added a small bottle.

So where I'm at currently is this, I have 15 psi lower in my center cyl, my oil level is very high and Im not sure how to drain it. Ski starts right up on water and trailer but smokes like crazy.

Anyideas on how to drain out some oil? And also what would cause the oil light to come on if it didnt need oil?

post a video so me or other people can hear what is wrong with your ski.

I have no way of doing it, it sounds normal. How can I drain some of the oil, and is it bad to have 140 125 140 compression?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information