Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Proper "Clean Up"

I'm not exactly sure what to do after a ride besides flush out my ski and spray major metal parts with corrosion block...

Is there anything else I can do to keep my ski in good shape.

Oh, and I also just got battery maintainers to put on while I'm not riding them.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    When you get it out of the water at the ramp, it can be helpful to start the engine, and burp the throttle two or three times. You will get a feel for how much throttle it takes to actually get the water to move out. Do NOT rev the engine to the redline, just a quick, strong blip of throttle is all it takes.

The idea is to push excess water out of the waterbox, so there is less moisture inside the exhaust system. Since one or more of the cylinders will have the exhaust port open when the engine is not running, the less moisture there is to potentially work its way back towards the motor, the better.

Others never do this, and seem to be OK.

When I get home, I tip the nose of the trailer up as high as I can get it (I could do this at the ramp, but I haven't been). I remove the drain plugs, and lift off the seat and remove the front storage bin, and let the hull interior air dry. I let the seat dry in the sun, off the hull.

Sometimes I blip the engine again, to move more of the exhaust water out.

To make it easier to lift the trailer tongue, I back off the winch a few turns, and manually pull the ski back on the trailer, until the tongue feels light enough. Then I stick an old wooden workhorse under the trailer front to keep it up (don't want it coming down unexpectedly!)

If I have time, and there is some water still inside, I might use an air compressor and trigger nozzle to blow excess water down towards the back, where it should drain out. The idea is to keep the hull interior as dry as it can be, practically speaking. This minimizes the amount of mould and mildew that accumulates.

If you are storing it inside, when you put the seat on, leave it cracked open, to let some air continue to ventilate the interior.

I keep the storage bin out of the hull while it is sitting, and ensure that the stuff in the bin also gets dried out (ropes, etc).

Every so often (once a year, maybe twice?) you might want to close the drain plugs, and poor a strong mixture of Bleach, water and Simple Green inside the hull (maybe a couple of gallons). Take it for a ride on the trailer, let it slosh around.

Then drain it all out, tip the nose up high, and give it a really good interior rinsing. Keeps it clean smelling and gets a lot of the gunk that builds up on the bottom. Ventilate it really well and let it dry completely.

If you ride in salt water, be sure to rinse up the intake grate, where the drive shaft is, and around the jet pump.

Also add a squeeze of waterproof grease to the through-hull bearing. Polaris says to do this very frequently for salt water riding, less often for fresh water use. As long as you don't go crazy with adding grease, do it as often as you feel is reasonable.

Battery maintainer is a good thing. But don't use it as a crutch to keep on using a marginal battery. If the battery won't hold its charge for at least a couple of weeks, it is time for a new battery.

wow thats a really good list....really makes me want to go home and clean out the inside of my ski really well. Sounds like I could eat off the inside of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    When you get it out of the water at the ramp, it can be helpful to start the engine, and burp the throttle two or three times. You will get a feel for how much throttle it takes to actually get the water to move out. Do NOT rev the engine to the redline, just a quick, strong blip of throttle is all it takes.

The idea is to push excess water out of the waterbox, so there is less moisture inside the exhaust system. Since one or more of the cylinders will have the exhaust port open when the engine is not running, the less moisture there is to potentially work its way back towards the motor, the better.

Others never do this, and seem to be OK.

When I get home, I tip the nose of the trailer up as high as I can get it (I could do this at the ramp, but I haven't been). I remove the drain plugs, and lift off the seat and remove the front storage bin, and let the hull interior air dry. I let the seat dry in the sun, off the hull.

Sometimes I blip the engine again, to move more of the exhaust water out.

To make it easier to lift the trailer tongue, I back off the winch a few turns, and manually pull the ski back on the trailer, until the tongue feels light enough. Then I stick an old wooden workhorse under the trailer front to keep it up (don't want it coming down unexpectedly!)

If I have time, and there is some water still inside, I might use an air compressor and trigger nozzle to blow excess water down towards the back, where it should drain out. The idea is to keep the hull interior as dry as it can be, practically speaking. This minimizes the amount of mould and mildew that accumulates.

If you are storing it inside, when you put the seat on, leave it cracked open, to let some air continue to ventilate the interior.

I keep the storage bin out of the hull while it is sitting, and ensure that the stuff in the bin also gets dried out (ropes, etc).

Every so often (once a year, maybe twice?) you might want to close the drain plugs, and poor a strong mixture of Bleach, water and Simple Green inside the hull (maybe a couple of gallons). Take it for a ride on the trailer, let it slosh around.

Then drain it all out, tip the nose up high, and give it a really good interior rinsing. Keeps it clean smelling and gets a lot of the gunk that builds up on the bottom. Ventilate it really well and let it dry completely.

If you ride in salt water, be sure to rinse up the intake grate, where the drive shaft is, and around the jet pump.

Also add a squeeze of waterproof grease to the through-hull bearing. Polaris says to do this very frequently for salt water riding, less often for fresh water use. As long as you don't go crazy with adding grease, do it as often as you feel is reasonable.

Battery maintainer is a good thing. But don't use it as a crutch to keep on using a marginal battery. If the battery won't hold its charge for at least a couple of weeks, it is time for a new battery.
    I don't "blip" the engine at the ramp, but when I flush it out with fresh water I'll shut off the hose and keep the ski running for 10-15 seconds and blip it then...

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
    I don't "blip" the engine at the ramp
    I would recommend doing so. Water in the pipe can get sloshed into the engine during towing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by paramuir View Post
    ...Sounds like I could eat off the inside of yours.
    I try to keep mine clean, but I haven't tried using it as a take-out tray!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5200022.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	80386  

Since my SLT hull has so many ribs and crevices where water can sit I take an old siphon feed sandblaster gun with an 18" 3/8 pipe ext on it and suck/vacuum the water puddles out of it. Its amazing how little air pressure it takes to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I try to keep mine clean, but I haven't tried using it as a take-out tray!
    You missed a spot beneath the bilge fuse...!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Road View Post
    You missed a spot beneath the bilge fuse...!

Permanent stain, won't come out

Clean enough for me!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BBCaprice View Post
    Since my SLT hull has so many ribs and crevices where water can sit I take an old siphon feed sandblaster gun with an 18" 3/8 pipe ext on it and suck/vacuum the water puddles out of it. Its amazing how little air pressure it takes to do this.

Here's mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 018.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	80453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 019.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	80454  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information