Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ignorant question re pump grease

How does the grease in the oem pump cone get to the bearing angle that the prop shaft runs through?

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    it doesn't really... which is why i prefer to run gear oil in my pump cone rather than the grease. it's smellier and more hassel, but far better lubrication...

pretty much, the bearing lasts as long as it does mainly due to the cooling effect the water has passing thru the pump...

many skis out there have no oil or grease and strictly rely on passing water in the pump to cool the pump hub and keep the bearings cool enough....

Good morning shibby.

Wow.....I guess I don't have to worry about filling the cone with a bunch of grease anymore.

How does the gear oil get to the bearings?

+1
    Va,
    It flows or runs through them..they are big ball bearings with enough room for the oil to pass through them...Just make sure you use a good gear lubercant..75-140 synthetic is what i use in my triple.....

Shibby,So i can run the gear oil in the stock pump without doing any sort of mods to it??as long as i get all the grease out??If thats the case im taking the grease out today...

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Va,
    It flows or runs through them..they are big ball bearings with enough room for the oil to pass through them...Just make sure you use a good gear lubercant..75-140 synthetic is what i use in my triple.....

Shibby,So i can run the gear oil in the stock pump without doing any sort of mods to it??as long as i get all the grease out??If thats the case im taking the grease out today...
    +1

Yeah, dont buy the SD brand pump oil from the dealer at the outrageos price either, its nothing but gear oil with the Seadoo name on it.. On my race XP's I ran Valvoline synthetic 80/90 gear oil in my pumps for years and never had any problems.. I think it ws Bill O' that turned me onto that like 8 years ago.

+1
    I run Amsoil gear oil, just stand the pump on its end and fill it with oil and put the cap on.
    After you clean the grease of course.

You can feel a major difference in drag on the shaft immediately.

Any good synthetic will work and I agree with Shibby waaaaay better than the grease.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    u dont even HAVE to get all the grease out... get as much out as u can, put some gear oil in and mix it... you'll get a nice flowy soup in there...

u can put oil in a bone stock pump no problem...

put the pump front side facing up, put oil in the cone, put the cone on from the bottom and tighten the bolts...

reverse procedure when disassembling and u wont have to worry about making a mess or draining the oil out each time.. it'll last a long time so long as it doesn't get contaminated with water.

but running oil in my stock pumps for almost 3 years now with no problems.. well no pump related problems anyway haha

You have the nose cone on your props?

+1
    I know Snoman doesnt have them on our props...If that you you any..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information