Thread: Cavitation?

Cavitation?

On my rxp from a dead stop if you go full throtle it revs high but doesn't move until it hooks up,I think its called cavitation,is any way to get rid of some of that? Thanks For The Help

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    yep... replace the wear ring and inspect the prop for damage.

check the "Technical Information" forum for directions on how to remove the pump and repalce the wear ring.

My RXP only has 18 hours and my wife has an RXT with 18 hours too.They both did it since they were new,I don't know if it is normal? When you jump on it from dead stop the ski's rev up (bounce's off the limiter)for a second or two then hooks up and flies.I have a R&D grate on the RXP,I heard that the riva was better but I got the R&D because I am a drag dealer and got it at cost and the RXT is stock.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    did it since new? so when it had 0.1 hours on it, it cavitated? why didn't u bring it back to them?

now if ur saying it's been like this since like 5 hours or so, then u went in shallow water and wore out the wear ring.

hours on the ski don't matter... u can burn up a wear ring in 1 hour, or 100 hours.... depends on the rider and the water conditions. u need to stay in MORE THAN 3 feet of water.

pull the pump off.... if the wear ring is in good condition, then u have another problem, but unlikely.

+1
    Everyone forgets the pump seal! My pump seal has been screwed twice and it will cause cavitation. It gets pinched back when the pump is installed and causes a air leak. You need to use a lube on it to install it so it wont get pinched!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Water4fire
    Everyone forgets the pump seal! My pump seal has been screwed twice and it will cause cavitation. It gets pinched back when the pump is installed and causes a air leak. You need to use a lube on it to install it so it wont get pinched!

This is called "ventilation", not to be confused with cavitation. If the seal is bad you are sucking air into the pump causing the impeller to ventilate. Cavitation can be caused by improper clearance between the prop blades and the pump wear ring or by a bent or badly knicked prop blade.

Richard

Thread Information