'05 GTX Limited Running Terrible

Took out my 2005 GTX Limited this morning and it ran like crap; It starts fine but would alternate between sounding like it was running on 1 or 2 cylinders and then be fine for 1/2 a second and then bog back down again. I kept running it for about an hour to see if it would clear but it never did. At first I was thinking it felt like some fuel filter was getting blocked or it had water in the fuel but it was able to get going over 60+ mph and sounded pretty ok but sounded like crap again at mid and low speeds- like it was running on 1 cylinder. I pulled the plugs and they all looked perfect. It ran great last week but something's definitely wrong now. I don't think there's water in the fuel- especially after riding it for an hour-I'm suspecting an electrical problem (like a coil or something similar).
    Anybody have any insight or experiences like this? and suggestions on what to try to troubleshoot it?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rto
    Took out my 2005 GTX Limited this morning and it ran like crap; It starts fine but would alternate between sounding like it was running on 1 or 2 cylinders and then be fine for 1/2 a second and then bog back down again. I kept running it for about an hour to see if it would clear but it never did. At first I was thinking it felt like some fuel filter was getting blocked or it had water in the fuel but it was able to get going over 60+ mph and sounded pretty ok but sounded like crap again at mid and low speeds- like it was running on 1 cylinder. I pulled the plugs and they all looked perfect. It ran great last week but something's definitely wrong now. I don't think there's water in the fuel- especially after riding it for an hour-I'm suspecting an electrical problem (like a coil or something similar).
    Anybody have any insight or experiences like this? and suggestions on what to try to troubleshoot it?
    Thanks
    Sound`s like vapor lock. Unscrew the gas cap, tighten it back down and retest. I just found this little issue today.

I had the exact same problem. Even though the plugs looked fine, swaped them out and it fixed the problem.

Ahh....where am I?
    +1
    I think it was the plugs for me as well. Mine ran like Chit all last month, rough starts, took 40 min to start to run normal, then the next cold start...same thing. Service manager enlightened me about the spark plugs, contrary to what a parts guy told me...and it may have fixed the problem.

I had a Parts/service guy at one shop say...why do you want new spark plugs? It's a 4 stroke you dont need to change the! and that was the extent of his explaination. DEEK!

Seadoo mechanic says it's the number one problem on 4 strokes. Also said keep a spare set cause you'll go through 'em now and then. I was surprised too, but hey, it fixed the problem...

But mine starts easy and runs good at speeds over 60mph. It only runs chitty at mid and low rpm... and I mean CHITTY !
    The plugs all looks identical; perfectly dry and light brown.
    It only has 80 hours on it....I've got a 5 year warranty on it so it's going in tomorrow. I'm dying to find out what the problem could be though...
    Guess I'll buy a spare set of plugs too...

Thread Information