Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: $38.00 IC mod

+1

$38.00 IC mod

Here is my $38.00 intercooler mod. After looking at what others have done, this is what I came up with. Check out the diagram and pics of this simple mod. All the fittings and hose cost me 38 bucks at Lowe's. This mod will not give you any more top end but it will help you run consistantly faster when it's hot and humid. Running the last 2 days with high temps and humidity, the ski would pull just as fast a top speed at the end of the day as it would right off the trailer. Top end sluggishnes and less bottom end punch from the heat and humidity are gone. All in all, I'd say that you will feel a difference in how your ski runs in the heat.
    The last 2 days, I ran an average of 70.4 with a best of 70.6
    I have never run this fast in the heat. I can run 71 in the cooler weather but have never run over 70 when it's this hot.
    Conditions:92-94 temp, 70 degree dew point. Calm winds and sunny.
    2-3 bars of fuel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	summer08 004.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	388.1 KB 
ID:	80482   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	summer08 008.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	626.2 KB 
ID:	80483   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	summer08 031.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	843.7 KB 
ID:	80484   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	summer08 040.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	378.5 KB 
ID:	80485  
    Last edited by Beagleman62; 06-29-2008 at 06:58 PM.

+1
    Good info Jim. I will add this to my list....

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Beagleman62 View Post
    Here is my $38.00 intercooler mod. After looking at what others have done, this is what I came up with. Check out the diagram and pics of this simple mod. All the fittings and hose cost me 38 bucks at Lowe's. This mod will not give you any more top end but it will help you run consistantly faster when it's hot and humid. Running the last 2 days with high temps and humidity, the ski would pull just as fast a top speed at the end of the day as it would right off the trailer. Top end sluggishnes and less bottom end punch from the heat and humidity are gone. All in all, I'd say that you will feel a difference in how your ski runs in the heat.
    The last 2 days, I ran an average of 70.4 with a best of 70.6
    I have never run this fast in the heat. I can run 71 in the cooler weather but have never run over 70 when it's this hot.
    Conditions:92-94 temp, 70 degree dew point. Calm winds and sunny.
    2-3 bars of fuel.

Just eveybody remenber 1 thing , need to flush intercooler seperately as now there is no fresh water coming from engine when you use OEM flush point,

no need to worry if only run in fresh water but salt is a different story.

SO ONCE AGAIN NEED TO FLUSH BY ITS SELF.

easiest way remove top cooler fitting put hose on and flush wit fresh water,

I have a fitting I use that connects to my garden hose by a Y fitting 1 side to OEM flush point ,2 side goes to cooler top fitting, on day I will plumb it in a perment fixture.

Waz

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    Just eveybody remenber 1 thing , need to flush intercooler seperately as now there is no fresh water coming from engine when you use OEM flush point,

no need to worry if only run in fresh water but salt is a different story.

SO ONCE AGAIN NEED TO FLUSH BY ITS SELF.

easiest way remove top cooler fitting put hose on and flush wit fresh water,

I have a fitting I use that connects to my garden hose by a Y fitting 1 side to OEM flush point ,2 side goes to cooler top fitting, on day I will plumb it in a perment fixture.

Waz
    This is what I came up with to flush the intercooler. One thing I forgot to mention in my first post. The height of the hose and elbow fitting on top of the intercooler needs to be as low as possible. If you get it too high, the bottom of the seat base will hit. I found this out the hard way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	summer08.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	554.3 KB 
ID:	80524  

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagleman62 View Post
    This is what I came up with to flush the intercooler. One thing I forgot to mention in my first post. The height of the hose and elbow fitting on top of the intercooler needs to be as low as possible. If you get it too high, the bottom of the seat base will hit. I found this out the hard way.
    I did it slighty different
    I reused the STD top hose in the orignal place teed it in to pump side near the hull fitting.back side of cooler

2nd tee went on discharge line ( same place as yours)

then I used a straight section of hose from hot water out from engine to the discargs line tee

that way I keeped the standard top line on intercooler, that way no seat height dramas

+1
    thinking about doing this mod. want your opinions tho. if im riding on 85 degree water, is it still a benificial idea. Or more so?? i dont know what temps of water are normally running thro the intercooler. 150-200?

can you run all this w/o taking the intercooler off?
    Last edited by benjahw; 06-30-2008 at 10:35 AM.

+1
    I like it! Simple, and effective.

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    That's cool Jimmy - best pics of the mod yet.

I'd suggest to reduce the flow to the top of the intercooler by using one of R&D's drop in restriction fittings (if they sell them separately) If not, i'll make you one.

I'll bet it could even be cheaper with nylon fittings (that are rated for the pressure)
    Good job, and good write up

We need air temp readings between sotck and modified to actually measure the diff.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by benjahw View Post
    thinking about doing this mod. want your opinions tho. if im riding on 85 degree water, is it still a benificial idea. Or more so?? i dont know what temps of water are normally running thro the intercooler. 150-200?

can you run all this w/o taking the intercooler off?
    I think it would help. The extra water going to the intercooler is a good thing but getting the exhaust water rerouted and not dumping it in the top of the IC is the biggest benifit of this mod.
    You can do everything without pulling the IC. Pull your catch can and you should be OK.

Great post Jimmy.... ..glad to see your still at it...I may have been quiet but I,m still working on my mods this too... Oh and I WILL be doin this mod.......

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information