Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Aftermarket fuel mods for the Ultra 150

Ok, I am replacing the OEM carbs from my Ultra 150 with 47 mm buckshots. They come with dual fuel pumps and the distribution block. The engine is stock (for now.)

Here are my questions:

Is the stock fuel pick up sufficient to flow enough fuel for this set up? I cant imagine that these carbs are going to use a ton more fuel than the stockers, (lets face it, the engine will only be able to burn so much fuel.) I would really like to keep the fuel on/off valve if possible.

Where is the best place to mount the fuel distribution block? High in the hull? low in the hull? I have already added the extra pulse line fitting to the case.

Will stock reeds be OK for now? I already have R & D reed stuffers but really don't have the money to spend on new reeds right know. I would really like to get the engine in and running before I dump anymore money into it.

Jetting??? These carbs came from a single pipe STX-R with an ADA head. How close do you think that the jetting will be for my stock motor.

I appreciate all input. Include picture of your set up if possible. If I can get this thing running and broke in, I plan on adding an aftermarket head and reeds.

Pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	043.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	80507   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	044.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	80508   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	045.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	80509   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	046.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	80510  

47's

I have no experience with the 47mm. I always ran the 50mm. Single pipe jetting was around 110/160 with ADA head (42cc). I would start at more and go from there. Just keep the bottom jet no less than 110 in my opinion.

I would run two fuel lines from the tank, Sorry. Do away with the fuel switch and run both reserve and on lines from the tank to the pumps. Oh and another sorry, fuel consumption will increase ALOT!!!!

Btw ax check those carbs I think you have a set of 50s not 47s. The diaphram cover on 50s is blue 47s are purple. As for jetting outlaw is right 110/160 is what is in mine. This was the same jetting as before the level 2. You may have to drop to a 157.5 or 155 with stock head but I would probably try the 160 first. The single fuel pickup probably wont supply enough volume to keep your fuel pressure up at wot, causeing you to lean out on top. You could put a couple of 1/4" full port ball valves inline for a shutoff. The instructions and pics for modding the pickup is in the mods thread.

+1
    What size N&S you running what pop off you running for...??

Thats alot of fuel in my Opinion ...in my SS gpr I ran a 46mm with a 142.5 main ...tripple pipe...

I know this kawi motor cant flow that much fuel/air stock......god thats goota be wierd. that much fuel...?? Ragged edge is running 46's with a 115main....

Im gonna be adding some 44's soon and will give a ball park on that when im done with it.

BTdigger...I would still test the stock cdi if ya can ...considering the factory pipe ignition is really setup for triple pipes and the power range. The timing advance could be at the wrong spots and maybe not enough timing or to much.

Not unless someone has a spread sheet of the stock and factory pipe cdi's I would love to compare them.. Of course thats easier said then done.

Oh I wouldnt add reeds unless you have the time and money to replace them "at least" once a year... unless your gonna ride 10hrs or so a year.

but again my opinion..... but interested to see the thing run when your done. Have you thought about your TPS yet.

Havnt had time to test the cdi. I just got a new piston friday. The jetting in mine was what was in it when I bought them. They were on a single pipe with group k heads. I like the v force reeds, in a mostly stock motor they will last more than a season. When you start having a problem is when you do porting or tripples, they dont like the crank turbulance or higer rpm. Vforce has redesigned the cages for the delta 2 and they also have a v 3 out now that has a reed stop. They changed out my cages and so far they have survived fine but time will tell. With buckshots you dont have a choice on needle and seat. My pop off is 11 psi but im going to raise it because it loads up bad when idling. You can see fuel dripping from the venturi.

Well, I was told these were 47 mm but I haven't received them yet so I can't measure them (but you are probably right, there are probably 50's.) Where do you get jets for these? is it possible to buy rebuild kits?

As far as the fuel mod, yea, I saw the post (great job) and will do that if everybody thinks it's needed. I was just wanting to keep the factory fuel shut off. No biggie. Are you running a shut off??

TPS. I am hoping that these carbs have the mounting for the TPS.

FA's. You guys have any preference between these Buckshot FA's or Prok's?? I have both but, thought I would sell the unused set to raise funds for other mods.

Any thoughts on where to mount the pumps?

I got jets from carb parts warehouse. The diaphram is probably mikuni also. My fuel pumps are glued to the bottom of the hull rite below the carbs silacone worked fine for this. I dont have a shutoff, I use vice grips.

Btldigger, can you please post a picture of where you TPS sensor attaches to your buckshots sometime when you get time???
    Last edited by axgrider73; 06-30-2008 at 05:40 PM.

Here is 2 I had on the computer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01908.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	80612   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01909.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	80613  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information