Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: An idea

+1

An idea

I have seen many threads regarding air intakes. Kanaflex, ss, customs, pre-fabs, etc.

Has anyone thought of making fiberglass/resin tubes. My thoughts are this. Take some of those long balloons (the type used by clowns to make animals, etc) and blow it up to 4" diameter. Then start the fiberglass/resin process. After the resin dries, pop the balloon and work on smoothing the interior of the fiberglass tube. I suppose it would take a couple 90's to make the turn around the engine and a couple long pieces to run along the engine. Any thoughts?

I wonder if this could be done around a 3.5" PVC pipe. That should be approx 4" outside measurement, right? In theory, you could use long 3.5" pipe and 3.5" sweeps.

I am NOT a fan of kanaflex. It is the worst looking install that could ever be put into the ski. I opted to install a 4 inch aluminum intake. It looked sharp as hell.

BUT, if you have to do ANY work on the ski the kanaflex is a blessing as it connects/disconnects easily and can be moved out of the way.

i am trying to get some info on a new hose that is smooth on the inside.

i make, break, and fix things 08255's Avatar
    it seems crazy to me with the way the aftermarket world has not really grabbed hold of the PWC's. its just a small handful of companies to chose from. and why no one has crafted a production 4" intake is beyond me...

Quote Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post
    I am NOT a fan of kanaflex. It is the worst looking install that could ever be put into the ski. I opted to install a 4 inch aluminum intake. It looked sharp as hell.

BUT, if you have to do ANY work on the ski the kanaflex is a blessing as it connects/disconnects easily and can be moved out of the way.

I agree with you on the kanaflex.. But it's the most user friendly way so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy River View Post
    I agree with you on the kanaflex.. But it's the most user friendly way so far.
    I did Kanaflex until I saw a friends aluminum intake...it really looks trick! but is a little overkill. I like mine though and would do it again.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=aluminum+pipe

Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    I did Kanaflex until I saw a friends aluminum intake...it really looks trick! but is a little overkill. I like mine though and would do it again.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=aluminum+pipe
    Larry... I would love it if it was one solid piece making it quick to take on and off!

+1
    When I used the Riva intake pipe, I cut it where it turns straight and used a silicone coupler to link the parts I cut. This allowed me to remove just the part that attached to the SC when I worked on it rather than removing the whole thing. Wouldn't that work on what ever solid pipes you use?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post

I read that thread the other day, and will look into it more in the next few days. At least the kanaflex is black. Wasn't that other stuff red or something?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko View Post
    When I used the Riva intake pipe, I cut it where it turns straight and used a silicone coupler to link the parts I cut. This allowed me to remove just the part that attached to the SC when I worked on it rather than removing the whole thing. Wouldn't that work on what ever solid pipes you use?
    Not a bad idea at all.

+1
    Back to the original post...Would 2 pieces of custom-made fiberglass tubes sifice? One would run from the SC and make the two tunrs to the side of the engine. The second would run from the back-right corner of the engine (connect with the U shape piece) and shape it up to the fuel tank where a filter may attach. I am referring to the GTX/RXTs. I am not sure where those with RXPs run theirs.

Being 2 pieces though, would allow you to remove the U shape piece. The SC coupling and the coupling between the two pipies.

Hell we may even be able to fiberglass the outside of the Riva powerfilter. Maybe not. I do not remember the pipe walls being all that thick Not enough to make a difference between 3" and 4"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information