Jared of Oklahoma

Please help me my SLT750 is sick

My beloved SLT750 has been running awesome here lately until earlier this evening. My wife and sister in law rode this ski for quite a while with no issues. Once they came in I jumped on and took off. it practically jumped out of the water and quickly planed out at a very fast full throttle. I only went about a 100 feet across the lake and then it just suddenly died. It easily started back up and then ran fine for a little while as long as I did not floor it. then when I hit full throttle it did the same thing again. At this point Im thinking I must be out of fuel. but upon lifting the seat up and checking for sure, there is plenty of oil and fuel in their proper places, and as I am hitting the start button I can see fuel moving in the fuel lines. It starts again but not quite as easily. I barely make it back to my camp site before it died again. Then it would not start again. What have I done wrong??? I cannot find any wires loose or any frayed wires. The plugs look good.. Any suggestions are very much appreciated. I have quickly fallen in love with this ski and cannot stand the fact that it will not run right now.. So please share your wisdom.

thanks,
    Jared Jones

Jared of Oklahoma
    Oh and it is turning over right now, it just will not start

+1
    Do you have spark at the spark plugs?
    What's your compression?
    Not that it matters too much but is it a 94 or 95?

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    got to start with a compression test (evan just witha finger to see if 1 hole is dead)
    then we can look else where
    mattman

Jared of Oklahoma

Ok did a compression test

Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    got to start with a compression test (evan just witha finger to see if 1 hole is dead)
    then we can look else where
    mattman
    OK checked compression today, 120, 125, and 120 . Pulled the plugs and now they all looked fouled. So I replaced all three with new NGKs and gapped them at 30 thousands like the ones that were in there. When I pulled off the stock blue spark arrestor off the top of the carbs I found a piece of the tab from the spark arrestor cover in the middle carb. I pulled it out and checked to see that nothing else had come off the cover. Sprayed some carb cleaner in the carbs and the ski fired right off then promptly died. This is all it will do now. Oh and the ski is a 1994 SLT. And one last thing, it seems as if the plugs are getting black very quickly. Im thinking this must be a fuel issue. I may replace the fuel filter again later today.

Jared of Oklahoma
    I meant I think the ski dying so quickly is a fuel issue possibly

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Not that it's the whole problem, but the plugs should be gapped between 24 and 28 thousandths.

Starts and dies right away may be a fuel delivery issue. Have you checked the fuel hoses, inline filters, carb filters, water seperator, and petcock for obstructions? Is there vacuum or pressure built up inside the fuel tank? Have you replaced or rebuilt the stock fuel pump?

Have you also clipped the plug wires back 1/4" and resecured the plug boots? Ohm test the plug boots while you're at it. Should be 5k ohms.

Also ohm test the stator. Mine went bad 3 weeks ago allowing it to "kinda" start, but would die right away. Came to be the blue/red wire was out of spec.

Jared of Oklahoma

Thanks Xlint89 I appreciate the advice

thanks Xlint for the advice. I replaced all the fuel lines when I put the motor in except I think we neglected to replace the ones in the tank. I am going to check everything you suggested this evening which brings up a good point. Fuel pump??

Should I replace with the three spray fuel pump or whatever it is you guys always talk about or rebuild mine? and if I should rebuild mine is there a kit I need to buy?? or are the parts something I can get at the hardware store. Im used to working on big jets as in Airplanes so Im still learning and a very willing "Grasshopper" to learn from you gurus about jetskis.

Petcock- would that be called a petcock in my Clymers?? and I asume it is in the fuel system area of the Clymers.

Stator-when I first aquired this ski it had a problem with the stator and the exact wires you mentioned. So I robbed the wiring off of a parts SL750 in my shop and spliced them in. Then I put the motor in and it has ran awesome up until this issue. I guess I should have gone through this ski more before putting it on the water. But I def think this ski is worth saving. SO MUCH FUN TO RIDE!!! I always wondered why you guys seem to be into these old skis. and Now I understand. Ive only had Kawasaki 2 cylinders up until now. Im always looking now trying to find more Polaris skis to buy.

thanks Xlint and everyone else for suggestions,
    Jared of Choctaw Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by jarcynvicnchris93 View Post
    thanks Xlint for the advice. I replaced all the fuel lines when I put the motor in except I think we neglected to replace the ones in the tank. I am going to check everything you suggested this evening which brings up a good point. Fuel pump??

Should I replace with the three spray fuel pump or whatever it is you guys always talk about or rebuild mine? and if I should rebuild mine is there a kit I need to buy?? or are the parts something I can get at the hardware store. Im used to working on big jets as in Airplanes so Im still learning and a very willing "Grasshopper" to learn from you gurus about jetskis.

Petcock- would that be called a petcock in my Clymers?? and I asume it is in the fuel system area of the Clymers.

Stator-when I first aquired this ski it had a problem with the stator and the exact wires you mentioned. So I robbed the wiring off of a parts SL750 in my shop and spliced them in. Then I put the motor in and it has ran awesome up until this issue. I guess I should have gone through this ski more before putting it on the water. But I def think this ski is worth saving. SO MUCH FUN TO RIDE!!! I always wondered why you guys seem to be into these old skis. and Now I understand. Ive only had Kawasaki 2 cylinders up until now. Im always looking now trying to find more Polaris skis to buy.

My 2 cents is change the Factory single pump to a triple outlet mikuni.. it will save you alot of hassle in the future aswell as it lessens the chance of fuel starvation tot he carbs/cylinders if that single does start to wear out

you wouldn't by any chance still have that SL750 parts machine would ya????

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jarcynvicnchris93 View Post

I'd get the triple outlet fuel pump, it's only around $26 for one. Try PMing John Zigler for one. They are sold at alot of places like watcon.com and atlanticpowersports.com.

The petcock is the fuel selector (shut off) valve. The rubber sometimes gets brittle and plugs up fuel flow. It's good to inspect the inners and lube it up.

Thread Information