Question STX1100DI lost fire!!

Was riding her this weekend when suddenly after recovering from spin,it died and had nospark.There wasnt a bunch of water inside so I dont think it got wet.I have been having ign switch issues so I replaced switch with a toggle.That had corroded so I replaced with a questionable puul type marine swich which began to give problems so I installed another toggle and was riding hard for like 45 minutes when suddenly died.This ski doesnt have an e-box like my ZXi so I am not sure where to start other than try another switch.Any ideas?? It did seem to be pretty hot under the seat after it died.Turns over quickly,it doesnt seem as if battery is low....IDK crap about these DI's but I guess I gotta learn.Any help would be appreciated.Thanx !

Are you sure it lost spark? Have you actually pulled the plugs and tested them to see that there is no spark? A failed switch will def. make that happen. Toggles are really not the way to go on a pwc. They only put up with minimal amounts of water for so long before caving. If just a typical switch is all you want, I would look for a sealed push button style that stays in when depressed and pops back out when shutting down. They can be found at all sorts of electronics stores and possibly UAP/NAPA stores. Maybe even a marine dealer would have something of the sort. But if you can, try and get a little more detail about the issue. It could be something as simple as a burnt fuse.

Thumbs up

Hey thanx for the reply....you r rite these toggles r no good for this..I am gonna use the original ign switch.I got it to come on but it is stuck that way so I will just unplug it when I need to.Oh and by the way..I figured it out after I sat and thought bout it..computer in this is for fuel control...spark is from the stator and PICKUP COIL....P-up had water plus a coating of wet oily grunge on it...cleaned it...ohm'd it... reinstalled it.....fired rite up! ThankGod as the puter for this is $1200. Nice new kawasaki innovation,pick-up is mounted OUTSIDE of cover with one bolt and o-ring...replacement is a freakin snap...(and I thought they were good for mounting statoroutside the flywheel).Startin to really dig these kaws...
    lets hear it for da boys....

I have a 2003 1100 stx DI. that is having a similar issue. Could you explain what the problem was again? I could not figure out what you were saying.

The owner thinks it's the computer, but I would like to see if it was something else...

Are the CDI's on these skis known to go bad???

Dont know that these things have a cdi per-se..they have a computer and a great big condenser.The 'cdi' is an internal function of the computer.A non-serviceable,non replaceable function/component.If it is bad...whole computer=$1200.......Luckily ,my problem wasnt with the puter but the pickup coilmounted in the stator cover.Mine was coated with some gunky crap and water.Cleaned,tested ,reinstalled and spark was kickin again.Unlike the older models which required you to remove front cover to access the pickup coil,the p/u coil is mountedIN the cover and is removable via one bolt holding it in.Super simple and time saving improvement.Pull yours and clean it off,test it with ohmmeter resistance between two leads should be between 396-594 ohms.If not, replace.New oem part runs like$80.(the pickup coil tells the cdi when to fire).Good luck, I hope this helps....

thank you very much for the detailed info... mucho appreciated bro!!

Quote Originally Posted by dzldogg View Post
    Dont know that these things have a cdi per-se..they have a computer and a great big condenser.The 'cdi' is an internal function of the computer.A non-serviceable,non replaceable function/component.If it is bad...whole computer=$1200.......Luckily ,my problem wasnt with the puter but the pickup coilmounted in the stator cover.Mine was coated with some gunky crap and water.Cleaned,tested ,reinstalled and spark was kickin again.Unlike the older models which required you to remove front cover to access the pickup coil,the p/u coil is mountedIN the cover and is removable via one bolt holding it in.Super simple and time saving improvement.Pull yours and clean it off,test it with ohmmeter resistance between two leads should be between 396-594 ohms.If not, replace.New oem part runs like$80.(the pickup coil tells the cdi when to fire).Good luck, I hope this helps....

Thread Information