Riva 3" "front air" intake... does it really do anything for the P-X?

Looking to buy some parts this morning, but it seems that the R&D filter deal is done with on the online store. If I'm going to pay $90 for an air filter, then I'll just pay $230 or whatever it is for the 3" front air.

Some say that the P-X has a "better intake track" than the RXP.. so again the question is... is the 3" front air intake worth the $$$ on a P-X?

Thanks,

-=Mike G.

+1
    I would just make a 4" custom air intake. Do a board search and you will find many custom air intake set ups. Then you need to buy a 15/22 prop to handle the extra power. Get an R&D or Riva intake grate as well. With these 3 mods, you will gain ~4-5 mph.

Air Intake

get the Riva intercooler relocation kit and then get the Riva rear air and you will be happier in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Franko View Post
    I would just make a 4" custom air intake. Do a board search and you will find many custom air intake set ups. Then you need to buy a 15/22 prop to handle the extra power. Get an R&D or Riva intake grate as well. With these 3 mods, you will gain ~4-5 mph.
    +1...
    Here's the 4" intake filter most use and at the best price.
    Jerry, you ought to sell these too!!

Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    +1...
    Here's the 4" intake filter most use and at the best price.
    Jerry, you ought to sell these too!!
    +2 ..

I run that same intake filter!

Quote Originally Posted by DIGGS View Post
    get the Riva intercooler relocation kit and then get the Riva rear air and you will be happier in the long run.
    yeah... that's prob. going to be the way eventually.

I just ordered the 3" front-air and Riva grate. Want to get those on for the 4th of July weekend.

As soon as I can convince myself to cut a hole in my brand new ski (probably after this coming weekend), it's Gibson/J-Pipe/thru-hull/RE OPAS blockoffs time/Skat 3-blade (pitch I will need help on). Then prob. August I'll take care of the IC relocation/Riva Rear Air (and repitch again if needed).

That's the plan for now... until/unless something better comes out. I'm trying to retain my 4-year bumper2bumper warranty as much as possible... or at least keep it easy to put as much back to stock as I can in case of catastrophic (bad speller I am) failure.

I'll update this thread with results of the rear-air. Hopefully pretty good so that I can sell the 3" for $150 or so when it's time to upgrade again.

Greenhulk/4-tec perf. is the shiznit!

-=Mike G.

Banned User
    +1
    Why the skat 3 bladed prop? Why not just have your stock prop repitched and save the money for gas??

Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    Why the skat 3 bladed prop? Why not just have your stock prop repitched and save the money for gas??
    My mindset is "Accelleration, accelleration, accelleration", and I thought that generally speaking the Skat 3-blades have better accell, but lose a mph or so on the top end. Not going to go with a smaller venturi ever, so trying to maximize what I can. I'm not decided on it, just throwing around the idea. I could just get a 15/21 14/23/ 14/22 (I'm trying to say 15/22R) and do that... or just re-pitch the stock prop? Send it to someone then I guess? Any suggestions? I'd love to learn how to do it myself, but from reading on the boards, there's a bit of P.F.M. (Pure F'in Magic) involved.

-=Mike G.
    Last edited by Mikey G.; 06-30-2008 at 09:31 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    Yea, just send it to someone and have it repitched to where you want it, and play with it a bit. Don't know anything about the 3-bladed Skat's. Was hoping somebody would chime in......I'd like to have a prop for just pure acceleration for buoy courses. I already have the nozzle, and could just repitch my stock prop....but if the 3-blade is the way to go...i'll look at getting one.

My point is save your money and bend, or have someone bend on your stocker first. Then when you narrow down where you wanna be you could get the skat at that pitch or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    Yea, just send it to someone and have it repitched to where you want it, and play with it a bit. Don't know anything about the 3-bladed Skat's. Was hoping somebody would chime in......I'd like to have a prop for just pure acceleration for buoy courses. I already have the nozzle, and could just repitch my stock prop....but if the 3-blade is the way to go...i'll look at getting one.

My point is save your money and bend, or have someone bend on your stocker first. Then when you narrow down where you wanna be you could get the skat at that pitch or whatever.

Yeah... I might even try pitching one myself . No seriously, it can't really be that hard. I just need someone to show me how to do it. I saw the home-made prop pitching bench made out of an old Hitch receiver, and scrap of 1/2" aluminum plate, a 3/4" bolt and a prop removal tool. Put the receiver into the truck hitch, attach prop where trailer ball would go (scrap alum. acts as a small table which prop and pitch gauge sit on), and pitch away. I think it's in the "how to" section.

EDIT (found link): http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20995

-=Mike G.
    Last edited by Mikey G.; 07-01-2008 at 01:56 PM.

Thread Information