Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

R/D Rideplate mounting surfaces

I have an r/d plate here thats been angled by Jim and was getting ready to do some grinding for it today. I noticed that the front left mount isnt completely flat and there is 2 distinct areas - where one is taller than the other. Would this be an issue? Also, the plate kind of rocks corner to corner (rear left and front right) on a flat surface. I also noticed that the plate is thicker on one side compared to the other on the flat surfaces outside the skeggs.

I never paid attention to this stuff when I had it on my 04, but if I recall correctly I only gained about 2mph with this plate. Are all these things standard flaws or should I look into getting it fixed before bolting up?

Thanks.

+1
    IMO get with Jim

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PuprleNuprleGPR View Post
    I never paid attention to this stuff when I had it on my 04, but if I recall correctly I only gained about 2mph with this plate. Are all these things standard flaws or should I look into getting it fixed before bolting up?
    oh and if your old boat is Icedog's, then I know why you didnt gain much

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    oh and if your old boat is Icedog's, then I know why you didnt gain much
    I just checked up the rocking from corner to corner on something that is flat for sure and its not bad, just a small gap between the surface and front right boss.

And I still have my old ski collecting dust... but why did icedog not gain much? Maybe my 04 had the same issue, but yet again it only ran a 61.8 with a 1200 grate, so it had plenty of other issues lol

+1
    Give Jim a call before you do any grinding.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by PuprleNuprleGPR View Post
    I have an r/d plate here thats been angled by Jim and was getting ready to do some grinding for it today. I noticed that the front left mount isnt completely flat and there is 2 distinct areas - where one is taller than the other. Would this be an issue? Also, the plate kind of rocks corner to corner (rear left and front right) on a flat surface. I also noticed that the plate is thicker on one side compared to the other on the flat surfaces outside the skeggs.

Thanks.
    If the plate rocks probably the pump and nozzle was not cut enough to clear the plate so when you tighten the plate it warped, That will explain why you only picked up 2 MPH. If you look on the plate were the pocket is i bet you have a spot were the pump or nozzle was hitting and left a mark.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    If the plate rocks probably the pump and nozzle was not cut enough to clear the plate so when you tighten the plate it warped, That will explain why you only picked up 2 MPH. If you look on the plate were the pocket is i bet you have a spot were the pump or nozzle was hitting and left a mark.
    What's the best thing to use to grind on the pump nozzle sand paper or a grinding stone with a drill?

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by yami_rida View Post
    What's the best thing to use to grind on the pump nozzle sand paper or a grinding stone with a drill?
    sand paper will take you a month, You need a grinding stone.

I wouldnt do any grinding to the plate myself, but I figured that this stuff was R/D quality control issues since Jim only machined the rear bosses and flat center surface. Heres some pics:
    If you cant notice the thickness diff., look at the beginning of the skeggs

THe more crusty part is the high spot where the plate has previously sat

Just showing the plate...I've gone over it with 400 grit to knockout some of the casting flaws and rounded the 2 front notches a bit with a hand file

Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    sand paper will take you a month, You need a grinding stone.
    Ok i figured that someone just told me yesterday that's what I should use but i figure they didn't knw what they were talking about or what i was talking about

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information