Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: oil leak

  1. #1

    oil leak

    hey u guys im new to the forum and hope u can help i have two problems i hae a 07 rxt when i got my ski it did 70-73 on the speedo now it does 60-63 i did a riva intake, riva intake grate and a riva blow off valve. never sucked up any rocks or anything my other question is im leaking oil from somewhere i have to put like 1/2 a quart in evertime i go out but i cant find the leak anywhere any pointers on where to look? any help is greatly appriciated


  2. #2
    speedskixp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    venice fl.
    Posts
    8,117
    +1
    120
    What rpms are you turning? How full are you filling the oil? Is there oil in the bottom of the hull?

  3. #3
    ill check the rpms tomorrow or wed when i go out, the oil i fill to the top mark on the dipstick

  4. #4
    King_Of_Fun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Catawba Island, Ohio
    Posts
    2,703
    Quote Originally Posted by salerngo47 View Post
    ill check the rpms tomorrow or wed when i go out, the oil i fill to the top mark on the dipstick
    How are you checking the oil? When you check it, the ski needs to be level (either on the trailer or in the water), the engine needs to be warm, idle the engine for 30 seconds, turn-off the hose if on the trailer, shut the engine down for 30 seconds, then check the oil. Most look for the level to be in the middle of the bends. Too much oil will slow you down a 100-200 rpms... Ron
    Last edited by King_Of_Fun; 07-01-2008 at 01:33 PM.

  5. #5
    speedskixp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    venice fl.
    Posts
    8,117
    +1
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by salerngo47 View Post
    ill check the rpms tomorrow or wed when i go out, the oil i fill to the top mark on the dipstick
    Filling the oil to the top will also cause you to lose oil because it is overfull. It goes out he breather line and into the intake. If this is th case you will not see any oil in your hull. Do as the king stated and check your oil warm and make sure the ski is level. In the water is best. Do not fill above half way when warm.

  6. #6
    Sea Doo Young'n
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Diamond Bar, CA
    Posts
    18
    Why would oil be shooting out through my blow off valve?

  7. #7
    speedskixp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    venice fl.
    Posts
    8,117
    +1
    120
    Either too much oil or time for a rebuild. The crank case breather is routed into your stock intake. If you over fill it it can puke the extra oil into the intake wich intern get sucked into the scer and then pushed through the intercooler and back into the engine to be burned. This is not the case if you have a catch can installed. This can also happen if your rings are getting tired, but not if you have a catch can. Do you have a catch can? How full are you filling it with oil? Should be no higher than half way between the mark. What is your compression?

  8. #8
    ill have to check it tomorrow, im finding it in the hull though unless the breather hose came off the intake ill have to check that too thank u


    Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    Filling the oil to the top will also cause you to lose oil because it is overfull. It goes out he breather line and into the intake. If this is th case you will not see any oil in your hull. Do as the king stated and check your oil warm and make sure the ski is level. In the water is best. Do not fill above half way when warm.

  9. #9
    speedskixp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    venice fl.
    Posts
    8,117
    +1
    120
    If you are finding it in the hull I would check your shaft seal. Feel the drive shaft near the engine. If it is wet with oil there is a good chance it is your shaft seal. Over filling the oil could possibly cause it to leak there. Do you store the ski with the nose propped up? If you have even the slightest leak at the shaft seal it will leak alot worse propped up. Also make sure it is not leaking around the oil filter area.

  10. #10
    it usually stored level or if not the nose is down. took it out yesterday would only do 7700 rpm at 60 mph

    Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    If you are finding it in the hull I would check your shaft seal. Feel the drive shaft near the engine. If it is wet with oil there is a good chance it is your shaft seal. Over filling the oil could possibly cause it to leak there. Do you store the ski with the nose propped up? If you have even the slightest leak at the shaft seal it will leak alot worse propped up. Also make sure it is not leaking around the oil filter area.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Oil Leak
    By ybnormal in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-20-2007, 03:19 PM
  2. Oil leak
    By mjet in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-02-2006, 11:08 PM
  3. oil leak
    By mjet in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-02-2006, 04:21 PM
  4. Oil leaking near SC
    By Stretch in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2006, 07:37 PM
  5. I might have a oil leak in the RXP
    By Jrsrxp in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 12:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •