Thread: msx150 ecu

msx150 ecu

I recently put my msx into the water and never put the drain plugs in the back. It sat next to the dock and filled up with water. A few days later I went to go use it and obviusley wouldnt start. So I took it out drained it, sucked all the water out of the motor with shop vacs, took off the two drain plugs on the motor (the one on the front sucked to get to). Then flushed all the oil until it didnt come out milky anymore and thought I was finished since it started right up. Boy was I wrong. I put it in the water and couldnt get it out of limp mode. I tried taking off the terminals on the battery but nothing. So to the dealer it went. Today I got a call from them telling me that the ecu is fryed. I'm not sure how because the ecu was never under water and NONE of the fuses were blown. So they have a used ecu they are selling me at the tune of $800 installed. I wasn't sure if anyone knows where I can get one cheaper. Also if anyone has insight as to why the fuses didnt do there job.
    Last edited by yeawellalmost; 06-30-2008 at 08:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Fuses are there to protect against short circuits and electrical fire hazards.

Fuses do not protect against all forms of water damage, especially if the electronics are powered up while things are still wet. Was this salt water, or fresh water?

If you had noticed the water inside the hull, and immediately disconnected the battery, the ECU might have been OK.

It is always a good idea to first lift the seat and have a look-see before starting a PWC engine.

Lifting the seat also ventilates the engine area. If there are gasoline fumes present, you would smell it when you lift the seat, much better than igniting them while sitting on the seat.
    Last edited by K447; 06-30-2008 at 08:52 PM.

yea it was fresh water, its never been in salt water. I only have 30 hours on it. I bought it last year with 8 hours. It was a stupid mistake

Quote Originally Posted by yeawellalmost View Post
    I recently put my msx into the water and never put the drain plugs in the back. It sat next to the dock and filled up with water. A few days later I went to go use it and obviusley wouldnt start. So I took it out drained it, sucked all the water out of the motor with shop vacs, took off the two drain plugs on the motor (the one on the front sucked to get to). Then flushed all the oil until it didnt come out milky anymore and thought I was finished since it started right up. Boy was I wrong. I put it in the water and couldnt get it out of limp mode. I tried taking off the terminals on the battery but nothing. So to the dealer it went. Today I got a call from them telling me that the ecu is fryed. I'm not sure how because the ecu was never under water and NONE of the fuses were blown. So they have a used ecu they are selling me at the tune of $800 installed. I wasn't sure if anyone knows where I can get one cheaper. Also if anyone has insight as to why the fuses didnt do there job.
    Is this a Polaris Dealer with Digital Wrench??
    If so ask him to print out the report showing the ECU being bad!!
    If he does not then "Beware"
    If he doesnt have Polaris Digital Wrench then he's selling you a bogus diagnoses
    Be very surprised if the ECU is damaged
    The ECU usually either works or does not work
    If its in lip mode its a sensor sending a bad signal 90% of the time. Again Digital Wrench will show this!!!
    Trouble Code Trigger Setup:

In order to capture the point where a trouble code sets, the system must be set up to trigger on trouble codes.
    To set up the system to trigger on a fault code, perform the following steps.
    1. Select the "Trouble Codes" button on the top of the screen.
    2. Select the trouble code to trigger on in the list of trouble codes on the left side of the screen, or select "Any Trouble Code" to trigger whenever any trouble codes are set.
    3. Select the "Arm Trigger" button to set the trigger and go to the Data Display Grid Screen.
    If the trouble code selected as the trigger is already set, the system will "trigger" immediately once the Data Display Grid Screen is displayed. Also, if "Any Trouble Code" is selected, the system will trigger immediately if there are any "Current" Trouble Codes set.

Item

Purpose

Trouble Code List

Select the Trouble Code to trigger on, or select "Any Trouble Code" to trigger when any trouble codes are set.
    Select this button to "Arm the Trigger" and go to the Data Display Grid Screen.
    Select this button to clear out any trigger information.

Thread Information