Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXT-X Hull damage advice please!!

Hey all.. Hopefully someone can give me a little advice on what can be done to fix this issue..

Basically I was riding today with 2 friends and going down a narrow channel and the tide was pretty low.. While on idle just slowly going down i hit a rock or something and felt it pretty bad hit the front end and scrape a little since I killed the engine as soon as possible..

Here is the damage.. what do you guys think I should do? How much would dealer charge to fix something like this.. Is it even possible to fix this?

It doesnt look like that it was cracked or anything to the point where it will leak because I was riding after that for a little.. It just the shell of the hull thats damaged
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zDSC01144.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	80706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zDSC01145.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	80707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zDSC01146.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	80708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zDSC01148.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	80709   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zDSC01149.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	80710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zDSC01150.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	80711  

Last edited by alb0zf1n3st; 06-30-2008 at 09:18 PM.

+1
    If you are not going for looks you can get some fiberglass resin and mix up a little bit and brush it on. Try not to make a mess. This will atleast seal it up so that you dont need to worry about further damage. You can also sand it a little and blow some black paint on with a spray can. I quit trying to make my hull bottom look pretty because every time I do something else happens. I just wait until I am getting ready to sell it and then make it look pretty under there. Before doing any thing you want to make sure the fiberglass is completely dry. It wouldnt hurt to put a fan on it over night.

From the looks of the damage it isnt too too bad, I bet you can fix that right up and you will almost never be able to tell it happened.. Just make sure you follow these instructions to the T and be real carefull when doing it all.

Here is what you do, all said and done it really quite simple.

Order a gel coat repair kit from www.gelcote.com

Steps:

1.) Sand edges and bottom of chip with 80 grit sand paper (be carefull not to scrathc the surrounding "good" gelcote.

2.) Make sure the surface is clean.

3.) Mix gelcote according to directions (be precise)

4.) Apply the correct amount to the chip (Gelcote.com supply plastic sheets which you can cut up and place over the wet gelcote to give it a smooth surface.)

5.) MAKE SURE THERE IS NOT TOO MUCH THERE... Gelcote is very hard and takes time to sand down.

6.) Sand the spot down which has been repaired starting with 600, 800, 1000, and last 1500 grit sand paper.

7.) compound and buff out.

If you do this correctly you will never be able to tell where the chip was in the first place.

Hope this helps and good luck!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kp04rxp View Post
    From the looks of the damage it isnt too too bad, I bet you can fix that right up and you will almost never be able to tell it happened.. Just make sure you follow these instructions to the T and be real carefull when doing it all.

Here is what you do, all said and done it really quite simple.

Order a gel coat repair kit from www.gelcote.com

Steps:

1.) Sand edges and bottom of chip with 80 grit sand paper (be carefull not to scrathc the surrounding "good" gelcote.

2.) Make sure the surface is clean.

3.) Mix gelcote according to directions (be precise)

4.) Apply the correct amount to the chip (Gelcote.com supply plastic sheets which you can cut up and place over the wet gelcote to give it a smooth surface.)

5.) MAKE SURE THERE IS NOT TOO MUCH THERE... Gelcote is very hard and takes time to sand down.

6.) Sand the spot down which has been repaired starting with 600, 800, 1000, and last 1500 grit sand paper.

7.) compound and buff out.

If you do this correctly you will never be able to tell where the chip was in the first place.

Hope this helps and good luck!
    Tape off the surrounding area so you can feather it in/ Use Laquer thinner to clean off the wax anywhere you want the gel to stick to.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by alb0zf1n3st View Post
    Hey all.. Hopefully someone can give me a little advice on what can be done to fix this issue..

Basically I was riding today with 2 friends and going down a narrow channel and the tide was pretty low.. While on idle just slowly going down i hit a rock or something and felt it pretty bad hit the front end and scrape a little since I killed the engine as soon as possible..

Here is the damage.. what do you guys think I should do? How much would dealer charge to fix something like this.. Is it even possible to fix this?

It doesnt look like that it was cracked or anything to the point where it will leak because I was riding after that for a little.. It just the shell of the hull thats damaged
    I had about the same size damage area on my old 06 rxt. A fiberglass shop charged me about 900 to fix it.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by 12timeworldchamps View Post
    I had about the same size damage area on my old 06 rxt. A fiberglass shop charged me about 900 to fix it.

Ed
    $ 900.00 OMG! at 80 MPH nobody's gonna notice that

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 12timeworldchamps View Post

Ed
    Did they use lube?

I ordered a gel coat kit from Overtons and fixed my wifes GTI. It came out beautiful.

is it taking on water?

Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    Did they use lube?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information