1998 SLH clicks but no start

My friend purchased a 1998 SLH 700. After charging his new battery and hooking it up, ski would only click and not turn over. It showed 14.5-15 volts. We took the plugs out and are able to turn the engine over by hand and a pair of pliers on driveshaft. Looked at the electrical box, etc didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Hooked battery up again, this time it showed 3.5-4.0 volts on the mfd with a low power message. Charged and tried my known good battery from my 97 slt780 and got basically the same voltage reading, and low power. Took my battery to Autozone, and it tested fine. The mfd and bilge pump seem to function just fine. The click is coming from the starter solenoid as best as i can tell. What would cause this? I wanted to trouble shoot the solenoid, but my clymer's manual says to disconnect the battery when opening the electrical box, yet the first line in troubleshooting it says make sure the battery is connected. This site seems great so far, and is hopefully what the doctor ordered!

+1
    pulled the plugs and cannot turn over by hand is bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With plugs out, starter should spin around 1200-1500RPM

If not you need to look at other engine issues

Quote Originally Posted by seaobin View Post
    pulled the plugs and cannot turn over by hand is bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With plugs out, starter should spin around 1200-1500RPM

If not you need to look at other engine issues
    Maybe pump issues?

+1
    I agree, with the plugs out you should be able to rotate the driveshaft by hand. If you can't rotate it by hand, pull the pump and try it again. If that allows you to easily turn over the engine, look at the pump assembly.

Let us know what you find.

It turns over by hand, i used the pliers to grip the driveshaft. That was my first concern. My friend was next to the engine and could hear it moving air good through the plug holes while i turned it from underneath. Im thinking its electrical since it shows low voltage with a full battery, lookin for ideas on where to look. Thanks guys

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by redhead780 View Post
    It turns over by hand, i used the pliers to grip the drive shaft. That was my first concern. My friend was next to the engine and could hear it moving air good through the plug holes while I turned it from underneath...
    When we say turn it over by hand, we usually mean taking the drive shaft coupler cover off (it is clamped around the engine end of the through-hull bearing assembly), then grabbing the coupler behind the engine, and turning it.

+1
    the engine should turn very easily with out the plugs in. You should not need plyer to turn it

I was able to turn the engine over by hand for a bit, guess it was just akward laying under it turning it, the pliers made it easier to grip. Hardly used any effort to turn the engine over.

Thread Information