Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Solved Riva Level 2 Overheating Problem

I was experiencing an occasional high temp alarm, at first only when making several spins in a row, then after several high RPM runs, and finally anytime I rpms went above 7000 rpm, then 6000 rpm. It even went into limp mode a couple of times. The problem was quickly getting worse. I called Riva and they said it was likely the intercooler had debris in it. The bad news is you have to pull the IC and backflush it with a hose, shake it hard, and repeat serveral times. The good news is you don't have to take the bracket off, only the rubber straps. About a tablespoon (at most) of what looked like black silt came out. I put the IC back in and installed an inline strainer. Way2fast warned us in a thread that when using an external IC you need to install a strainer http://www.greenhulk.net/4tec/showth...ooler+strainer. I installed the filter exactly as he desribed and ran all weekend without a high temp alarm, even while doing spins. So here's my thought, the Riva ICs are very sensitive to any weeds, sand, or other debris. I run only in fresh water and stay away from weeds and it was still a problem. I'm thinking a lot of the stage 2 overheating problems and exhaust meltdowns are caused from this. The solution is a clean IC with a strainer installed.

Actually if you unhook the easily reachable "water out" line on the intercooler and remove the pump you can backflush the i/c w/out removing it! You need to unhook the water line going from the i/c to the exhaust manifold and plug in a garden hose or compressed air to the i/c instead. Then you need to remove the pump; be sure to remove the yellow washer as well. This way you can flush both ways. you can run water from the pump to the i/c (yes it will drain into the hull) and also from the i/c to the pump. I went back and forth twice just to be sure. I pumped out a good deal of sand the other day. Also, be sure pull the black screen on top of the pump while it's out. One big piece of seaweed and your day is ruined!

Brendan

I tried a backflush with the IC in place but it would still overheat on occasion. Riva said you have to pull the IC in order to shake it to get all it clean. I was very skeptical but they were right. More came out after removing the IC and shaking it, and no more overheating even after spins. The stuff that came out was very fine, like black sand. This is exactly what Riva said it would come out after shaking it.

I agree. Shaking it out might loosen the stubborn stuff. If you just have some silt or sand in there, many times the hose will be enough. I don't know about you, but I can pull my pump in 5 minutes or less. The i/c, on the other hand, is a real pain in the a$$!

Also, if you do not run a catch can for your crank breather, you might want to consider rinsing the i/c with gasoline. It will remove any oil buildup and allow the i/c to work better. This has already been proven!

Yes, removing the IC is a bit of a pain, but it takes me less than 30 min, by leaving the bracket in and remving the straps.

Catch can installation is next, good point.

+1
    RX I just had to do the same thing. Removing pump and back flushing the IC didnot do it. I had to remove IC and flush it out with radiator flush. Those IC stop up with VERY LITTLE debri in them. Todd

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    do u guys NORMALLY flush ur skis on the hose after every single useage? or just once in awhile or never?

Yes, this is so true! I just recently experienced this myself. The Ic got clogged from eel grass and sand from running out in the ocean. I normally run in brackish water, river, so now I have to deal with installing a strainer. Thanks RXD12 for posting the thread with Richards advice!...PR...

Could you use the hose with the saltaway adapter and push saltaway through it or maybe gas.

Kinch as crazy as this sounds the IC had to be shaken to get the crap to come out. I don't think backflushing with any chemicals woud get this stuff out. Also not much came out. I caugh it with a towel and there was less than a tablespoon, maybe a teaspoon. These ICs seem to be a collection point and don't take much to lose efficiency. I run in clear fresh water and still had a problem that backflushing would not cure. I believe the answer is a strainer as Way2fast said in his warning. I'm thinking several folks have lost efficiency/HP and don't evem know it, until it gets bad enough to where the high temp alrm sounds.

Shibby I do not backflush it after each time out. Mine sits on an EZ dock on our lake. I'm going to pull the strainer after a few more hours to see what it caught.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information