Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SL780 Oil in Exhaust

Hi,
    Got a question. Hopefully someone will help me out. I have a 1996 SL780 and started it up the other day and there was white smoke coming out of the exhaust exit tube. So i shut down the motor and looked below where the impeller is, there is like a blackish tray below the pump housing. There was oil/gas mixture in the tray. On further inspection found that it was coming out of the exhaust tube. What could the culprit be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Is this SL780 Polaris new to you?
    Are you familiar with 2-stroke engines?

The Polaris 1992-1998 Service Manual can be found here.

If the engine has been fogged with fogging oil for rust protection during storage, it is normal for it to smoke heavily when first run after storage.

The excess fogging oil will be burned off within the first few minutes of running it at speed on the water.

Nope it hasnt had fogging oil added to it... Only thing i did was put seafoam in the gas before storage. And its not like a little of oil its quite a bit with gas in it. There was probably two cups of this stuff coming out of the exhaust.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Armed101 View Post
    Nope it hasn't had fogging oil added to it...
    Only thing i did was put seafoam in the gas before storage.
    And its not like a little of oil its quite a bit with gas in it. There was probably two cups of this stuff coming out of the exhaust.
    SeaFoam - isn't that stuff a fairly strong fuel system cleaner?

I don't think of it is a fuel stabilizer...

Depending on how the engine was run before storage (lots of low RPM operation), there might have been an accumulation of 2-stroke oil in the crankcase.

Check that your oil injection pump cable is correctly hooked up, as the oil pump will resort to 100% oil flow if the cable breaks or is disconnected. This is a safety feature to ensure that the engine is never without enough oil, if the oil control cable breaks.

Are you sure it is oil, and not just oily water from the waterbox?

+1
    what color is it.

Sooty Black--old or combusted fuel/oil
    Milky Black--Same as above with water in it
    Clear Blue/Green or Clean Clear Black--New 2 stroke oil

we like pictures

I agree with 447 if you just used seafoam last winter, scrap the tank you have, dilute it with fresh gas and use in your oldest car.

Fill with new fuel

Dont know about the low rpms... Is there a possibility that the motor might be flooded with oil due to tilting the jet ski at a 45 degree angle or a little bit higher... The reason i say that is that i washed the inside of the jet ski out... It had oil in the bottom below the engine and in other various spots so i got some degreaser and sprayed the heck out of the inside with water and degreaser, of course with the drainplug out and tilted the jet ski once or twice to get most of the water out... The oil, i dont know where it has been coming from, could have been just a spill from a mechanic changing out a part or something. But it sure looks like oil and smells like gas too... Kind of blackish in color. Ill check the oil pump like you said to see if everything is hooked up properly. The Sea Foam is used kindof like a stabilizer i always put it in all of my ski before storing them for the winter and this stuff works great.... I had a XP jet ski that i hadnt run for about 1 and a half years and before i stopped using the ski i put some in it and went to start up the motor and it started right away... So i am definitly a believer in it....

Oh yea and in response to the color ill take a picture of the oil/gas mixture coming out of gas tank and post it..... I did siphon all of the gas out of it before starting it for the first time and added new fresh gas to it....

Here are some photos of the oil... I bet there is a bunch of this stuff in the muffler...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7910.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	459.7 KB 
ID:	80832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7912.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	869.2 KB 
ID:	80833   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7914.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	821.7 KB 
ID:	80834   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7915.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	798.3 KB 
ID:	80835  

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM
    Normal
    run that thing
    just keep some new plugs on hand (might need to change them AFTER)
    have fun and enjoy
    mattman

Are you sure? Its throwing oil out like its going out of style... In just about 30 seconds, i couldnt catch all of the oil coming out.... But if i had to guess there was about a cup and a half of oil coming out of the exhaust.... Is that just oil left over or what?... If not and thats how much oil it will use than we probably will run out of oil in like 5 min or less. lol Maybe theres alot of oil in there thats been stored up for a long time maybe it just needs to run for a long time... I dont know if i failed to mention that there is a whole lot of white smoke coming out with the oil... Almost looks like the danged house is on fire when i start it up and it keeps coming out...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information