Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fogging oil

fogging oil

what oil is used for fogging? after using the skii...what to put inside the engine? and also the metal parts, to protect it from rust?

+1
    You should be able to get any fogging oil from a motorcycle or boat store.

so the name of the oil is fogging oil? or 2t or what?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by andy95'slx780 View Post
    so the name of the oil is fogging oil?...
    Search is your friend.

Take a moment to search for information when you can. A lot of the things you need to find are already here, already answered. Just do some searching, and you will often find the answer.

2-stroke engine fogging oil comes in both aerosol spray cans and as a liquid. Sold under many brand names, it is an oil designed to stick to the internal metal parts of a 2-stroke engine, protecting it from moisture and rusting.

The spray cans are easier to use, just spray into the engine air intakes (carbs) while running the engine, then after the engine is stopped, spray a little more down each spark plug hole.

The liquid fogging oil is used with an engine fogging kit. This includes a small holding tank for the fogging oil, and a manual plunger (looks like a choke knob) to pump the fogging oil into the carburetor fuel supply line.

When the oil gets to the carbs with the engine running, the carbs feed the oil into the engine, instead of gasoline. The oil gets spread through the inside of the engine, and typically the engine stops running on its own, since there is almost no gasoline to burn (at that moment).

When the engine is restarted, it will smoke heavily for a few minutes, until the engine is revved up enough to blow the fogging oil out of the crank case and burn it.

On the outside of the engine, many use Fluid Film spray, Boeshield T-9 spray, or a silicone spray.

Try to NOT use a spray that contains petroleum solvents, like WD-40. Sprays with solvents can affect the electrical wiring insulation and rubber parts, and harden them over time, causing cracking and problems.
    Last edited by K447; 02-20-2010 at 12:54 PM.

+1
    How often in between rides are you fogging? I only fog when i store my ski for the winter. IMO its over kill to fog each an every ride.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xplayer2885 View Post
    How often in between rides are you fogging? I only fog when i store my ski for the winter.
    IMO its over kill to fog each an every ride.
    I think Polaris recommends fogging after every ride in salt water, due to the salty moist air ingested into the engine air intake, which means there is some salt inside the engine itself.

Salt accelerates corrosion, especially in the presence of moisture.

Fresh water riding is a different matter, and fogging is only necessary when the engine is not going to be run for a week or more.

I am wanting to add a fogging kit to my 95 780 but am having a hard time finding one. Any suggestions ?

Thanks
    sawdust

+1
    My favorite oil for fogging is Bombardier's XPS anti-corrosive spray.

It does an awesome job, and is not as hard on spark plugs as some others. (it burns out easier, so it's excellent choice for fogging after every ride)

Otherwise Sta-bil brand will do the trick too and available at most automotive supply.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    I am wanting to add a fogging kit to my 95 780 but am having a hard time finding one. Any suggestions ?

Thanks
    sawdust
    You can either just spray it into the intake, or you can drill holes in the intake and use some good plugs. Drilling and using plugs works good cause you can just shoot it straight down into each carb easily after riding.

I installed Tau Ceti flame arrestors and used carb adapters that are set up for oil injection. I used the oil injection nipples, Tee'd them together and just have a single line that I spray it into.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information