Big Question:Which conversion should I do, and what do you think itll cost???

Ok so here is my question and please bare with me b/c Im having trouble sleeping over this, so Im doing this really late haha?

Ok here are my ideas:

I have a 2000 Gp1200r that just blew up.

First option:
    -Fix the motor with all new pistons, and new carbs and get her back running again, would probably be my cheapest option, but will probably only get about 150 hrs out of the motor again.

Second option:
    -Get a seadoo 4 stroke supercharged motor, change I think its the washers and valves on the motor and have a 400 hr ski but, how reliable is it, and what is it gonna cost me in all reality?

Third option:
    -Get a seadoo 4 stroke non supercharged, and have a REALLy reliable motor from what ive heard, but how long will it last and the biggest question is, will i actually be slower in my ski or bc it has the same hp wont see a difference?, what will it cost in all honestly aso?

Heres what I want, I am not a speed freak just want to have the stock or more speed. I like to cruise, spin and jump waves, its just my thing. My BIGGEST concern is reliability, I hate having to take the ski into the shop or have something fixed myself b/c like everyone im sure I like to be on the water not land. I would like to know what you guys think the costs would be around for everything on each one of these projects. I know its a long posts, but im sure others will benefit from this also.

I dont mean to be a total pain in the ass, but I did searches and stuff but its all very broad. I kinda just want a straight answer from the pros who have done this, what youve spent, and what sounds better to you. By the way thank you all in advance, this is like a really big deal to me, I dont want to spend the wrong money and then hate life if I do the wrong thing.

+1
    For what your looking to to do I would find a FX160 motor and electronics and put them in your GPR. It will probally be about the same top speed but have all the relibiliy you plus be better on gas.......

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1
    sounds to me you need to just sell everything and buy a 4stroke stock ski.
    A GPRXP or any conversion is not for.............
    I like to cruise, spin and jump waves, its just my thing.
    you will have 3 time the money into a conversion than if you just bought a decent used RXT or RXP..
    used RXP $5000.
    to convert your gpr could easily go up to $15000.
    plus a lot of hours of skilled labor yourself..
    followed by another year or so of adjusting & tweeking.

I love my conversion ski's but theres HIGH maintenance.
    sometimes your wrenching more then riding..

I'm not trying to talk you out of it - just making sure you know what your getting into.
    from your post it seams you just want a good reliable maintenance free fun ski with minimum wrenching.

Im no Pro ! Why dont you just rebuild the g1200r and make it a constant 70mph craft. Its way easier then a conversion and youll probably spend more time on the water. Since the convertion is going to take a looong time to get completed. And do those 2 stroke motors realy only last 150hrs?

Well heres the thing, to fix my motor its gonna cost me around 2500 everytime something goes. B/c most of the time the crank gets hurt from someething breaking. I dont want to have to spend 2500 for a ski that MIGHT make 200 hrs everytime. Id rather spend 8k no and get a 100hr 4stroke in my ski and have something that will get 600hrs minimum from it.

I thought of trading my ski for an rxt/rxp, but the hull is terrible to me. I hate the way it turns and feels. To me the gpr hull is the sexiest and funnest ski ever. Its lighter then most, handles awesome and is just a looker. I just had the haul painted too, so dont want to waste the good looks.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidacceleration View Post
    sounds to me you need to just sell everything and buy a 4stroke stock ski.
    A GPRXP or any conversion is not for.............

you will have 3 time the money into a conversion than if you just bought a decent used RXT or RXP..
    used RXP $5000.
    to convert your gpr could easily go up to $15000.
    plus a lot of hours of skilled labor yourself..
    followed by another year or so of adjusting & tweeking.

I love my conversion ski's but theres HIGH maintenance.
    sometimes your wrenching more then riding..

I'm not trying to talk you out of it - just making sure you know what your getting into.
    from your post it seams you just want a good reliable maintenance free fun ski with minimum wrenching.

I understand what your saying, but people dont seem to look at the costs of these skis. The motor if ran in salt water, just doesnt last long at all. I took VERY good care of my ski, to have the rear cylinder go at 96.1 hrs.(i checked today). The build to fix one carb, and one piston with everything would be around 1500-1700 bux. To me since I plan to keep this ski, it is not cost effective to have a ski that is gonna be in the long run costing me more.

+1
    If you did a GTX non-supercharged, I'd bet you could spend around $7k and have a good solid 68-75mph ski wave-jumper with no SC and no issues. It sounds pretty tempting, and I might just do one later to see what it's like.

My cost of ownership, and amount of time under the seat, experience with MY GPRXP has been a polar opposite to what Dan has had to do with his rotax powered XPL. Of course Dan designed it himself, did all the work, machined all the parts, upgraded the engine multiple times, and spent tons of cash to get there... He's a pioneer, and understands what the term "bleeding edge" really means. It is virtually impossible to copy what he did. Anybody with some time and tools can do a gprxp. To build a GPRXP as I have designed it, cost you a lot less. I'm not building any parts anymore, so you will need to find some folks on here to build you some mounts too.

I started with a wrecked 04 RXP, and a GPR hull, and didn't try and reinvent the wheel on the pump, the electronics, or the handling. I took as many parts from each ski as possible, and it really came together. A few folks have done the same now. Cost to adapt the RXP parts into the GPRxp ARE NOW less than $1900 including some performance tricks. So, if you have a cheap or free GPR with all the parts, can find a wrecked RXP for less than $6k, and spend $1.5K on conversion parts, then you have one HELL of a deal for less than $10k.

Well I had my gpr hull and I just painted it, got a new seat, and now the motor went. Im going to be doing this together with a shop in the keys, and he is gonna help big time. I already have the motor, and im gonna sell whats good on my gp, which is verything except one cylinder. I was a little confused for th 15k price mark, but i ill let you guys know of the progress for this ski, i am gonna try and track down a 255 hp motor, but not sure if itll fit. If not ill just throw the 215 motor in there and get to work. I just thought a non supercharged would be a good idea, but I found a supercharged motor so let the modding begin.

Thread Information