Thread: GTX Handling

GTX Handling

Hi, we have an 06 GTX and with two bigger people on it it feels squirly in the rear. Just kind of like moving back and forth for no apparent reason. Is this due to OPAS? I do have them blocked in the up position which seems like may of helped but not sure. I'd expect a boat this big to handle great with even 3 people. Thanks.

Same pronlem with mine...Sure way to fix it...ride alone...LOL..

Seriously dont know what will cure this, But Im sure having a lot of weight in third seat which is high, doesnt help at all...

I was just gonna say that aftermarket sponsons would cure the wiggle waggle, but you didn`t say exactly how much weight you are carrying.

With aftermarket sponsons, you can adjust the height to suit your riding stlye or to adjust handling with multiple passengers.

Stock sponsons on the GTX`s will let the rear of the boat slide around a turn, alot of riders like this power sliding feel. Alot of the time you`ll just get a wiggle waggle while the ski is getting up on plane and then it goes away while cruising.
    You also didn`t say what type of waters are you riding in, so many variables to effectively solve the problem.

The more weight you have on the ski, the more the stern is in the water. OPAS paddles could still be dragging, or the sponson blade tips are dragging also. Can you see rooster or trails shooting rearward from the sponsons or opas when underway with 2-3 people on board?

The #1 benefit of aftermarket sponsons is to make the ski turn sharper, really dig in and carve around a bouy or open water turn, and track better...

I`ve had these same symptoms on my 2004 GTX SC when new, now there are aftermarket sponsons on there now. and OPAS block-off plates.

Hopefully there will be a new item out by years end, the RE pro series block off which fill the hull cavity where the stock opas paddles reside. .

Currently I`ve adjust my sponsons in the upper most position bc I wanted to slide around a turn a bit, riding solo...Hope this was helpful...and Welcome to the Forum!...PR...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 07-10-2006 at 06:18 PM.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    hey andy... my first time around with riva sponsons i put them all the way down with the addition of skegs. i could not spin out for nothin. ski handled like a slot car on rails.

this time around with all the hull work, i put the sponsons in the up position with no skegs... the ski cannot handle anymore, geesh. it's so sloppy and slippery in the turns the back end just slides out from under me.... i guess it was somewhat fun, but man ur right. in the up position, it certainly does spin around.

i prefer the wrist snapping handling where the ski will turn on rails and carve around tight buoys.

My buddy Danny has some sponsons that work pretty good for what your describing! Check out his site:

http://www.theudells.com/PWC/gallery...son/dannys.htm

Check them out and shoot him an email, he can take care of ya...
    Last edited by Muddy River; 07-10-2006 at 11:06 PM.

+1

Thumbs up

But shibby,,you ride in heavy ass current, maybe not all chop but swells and current. I would thinf loose would help in you water. I saw a bid ace tanker in your pic. Sick bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485

i prefer the wrist snapping handling where the ski will turn on rails and carve around tight buoys.
    Ok,
    Since when are you turning around bouys???

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    when the water by me is dead calm, it's kinda boring.... there are markers and buoys like you would not believe.... they are so close together and everywhere. so when i'm board there's this one channel that's narrow and windy marked with buoys every 75 feet about... so that's what i do when it's boring. the rough stuff sucks for top speed, but it's fun to a degree

Thread Information