Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

MSX150 6000rpm Max?!

Okay so here is my problem, I have an 04 MSX 150, with 20 hours, I took it out for the first trip this summer to test it out, started up fine ran okay,
    would not rev past 6000rpm's and would never build full boost, I didn't ride it long and didnt think much about it, just blamed it on old gas, filled tank and added some octane booster and changed plugs before my next trip out, 2 days later, got it in the water, took off, ran great, max rpms and full boost, and about an hour later, cel came on and back to 6000 rpm red line. I checked the oil in it its a lil above the max line. Im gonna remove some oil from it and unhook the battery, if this does not fix the ski I am out of options, I don't know what else it could be, I have been on the forum for a few days and I have read up alot, I have checked everything fromt the waste gate, and rod to the fuel filter, please help I need this thing fixed by the weekend!!!! Also no Digi wrench in my area and upon start up I do get a check engine light and then goes away.
    Last edited by lilbluewarchief; 07-01-2008 at 12:51 PM.

+1
    Hi chief, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!!
    Hopefully one of the Weber guys can point you in the right direction.
    Do you have oil in the intake manifold??
    I thought I read about the oil shorting the sensors due to an overfill condition??
    Have you performed a SEARCH?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Edit your first post to change the subject heading for this thread. State your model number, and summarize the nature of the problem.

Not all the helpful folks here read every new thread, so tell them what you have, and what the problem is, right in the thread subject line (which is created when you create the first post).

You can edit the subject for just 24 hours after your initial post, so change it now.

I sucked some oil out of the jug, it was about 3/4 quart to high, removed the throttle body and two air temp sensors, found that they were all covered in oil, cleaned everything, cleaned out the intake the best that I could and put it all back together, is there anything else I need to do before trying this thing out this evening? Also is there anyway to clear the
    dtc's without a scan tool? Thanks so much for the fast responce!

+1
    Do a search for other threads discussing the MSX Weber turbocharged engines.

There are some posts covering the contamination of the air intake with oil, caused by incorrect oil level markings on the dipstick. Apparently a pain to get it all cleaned out, AND the oil can kill some of the sensors in there, necessitating replacement.

Well I took the ski out yesterday to try it out, problem not fixed, I did recheck the sensors and found that everything was dry, so that is a good sign but still a check engine light upon start up and limited to 6000rpm's. Is there anyway the clear the dtc's without a scan tool?

+1
    I am not an expert on these Weber engines by a long stretch, but I think that the display warnings and RPM limiting will clear themselves once the source of the problem is fixed.

Okay thanks alot!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I am not an expert on these Weber engines by a long stretch, but I think that the display warnings and RPM limiting will clear themselves once the source of the problem is fixed.
    Yes. Once the problem is solved, the error code changes from "current" to "historic" into the ECU memory.

Most times, when oil fouls the MAP sensor located in the intake manifold, the air temperature reading will become erratic and wrong. If it is outside the range expected by the ECU, a reading of 158F degree air temperature will likely be recorded and this will trigger significant ignition timing retard, therefore reducing power and protecting the engine. This is also true when the MAP sensor is disconnected, the default air temperature becomes 158F-160F degrees. Note that the Boost sensor located on the intercooler discharge tube is the same sensor as the MAP sensor located on the intake manifold. These are both 0vdc to 5vdc based 20kpa to 250kpa sensors made by Bosch and include a resistance based air temperature sensor. The air temperature reading is only taken from the intake manifold sensor and not from the boost sensor. If one sensor is bad and the other is good, you can substitute their location putting the good one (air temperature) in the intake manifold location.

Quote Originally Posted by lilbluewarchief View Post
    Okay so here is my problem, I have an 04 MSX 150, with 20 hours, I took it out for the first trip this summer to test it out, started up fine ran okay,
    would not rev past 6000rpm's and would never build full boost, I didn't ride it long and didnt think much about it, just blamed it on old gas, filled tank and added some octane booster and changed plugs before my next trip out, 2 days later, got it in the water, took off, ran great, max rpms and full boost, and about an hour later, cel came on and back to 6000 rpm red line. I checked the oil in it its a lil above the max line. Im gonna remove some oil from it and unhook the battery, if this does not fix the ski I am out of options, I don't know what else it could be, I have been on the forum for a few days and I have read up alot, I have checked everything fromt the waste gate, and rod to the fuel filter, please help I need this thing fixed by the weekend!!!! Also no Digi wrench in my area and upon start up I do get a check engine light and then goes away.
    My MSX 150 was doing the same thing. DigitalWrench pulled up the code: P0120 (Throttle Position Sensor-Plausibility Error). The service manual says, "indicates the readings from the two TPS sensors do not agree". My local dealer took this to mean that one (or both) of my sensors was the problem, and we changed both for new ones. This did NOT change anything, and Polaris then suggested that the ETB (throttle body) was faulty. I have since replaced the ETB...but have not had the time to test out the ski yet. Oh, yeah...I also replaced the TPS (throttle position sensor), just to be sure.

My guess is that the two sensors that the manual is referring to, are built into the ETB unit, and the TPS. My second guess would be that the engine temperature sensor is reading a false low reading, and the computer will not allow the ski to be opened up while 'cold'. It sucks that my dealer has no experience with this ski...and I plan to check WATCON to see if their software offered, can replace the DigitalWrench. I would much rather 'throw' my money to Randy...then to my 'lost in the fog' dealer!

Saturday July 5th update!!! Thrilled to announce that the ETB (electronic throttle body) replacement has solved my problem! Ski ran like a scalded cat! A 'tip of the hat' to Jay, who sent me the replacement ETB! Do the same, and your posted issues should be cured....
    Last edited by Rocky_Road; 07-05-2008 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Update!!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information